Is the Isle of Man Government becoming despotic?

Boo Gay'n

So would Minister Lawrie Hooper MHK dismiss the Head of News & Deputy Controller of Programming on Manx Radio as just some bird/bloke with a pen and paper who talks on the radio, or something like that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Barlow said:

So would Minister Lawrie Hooper MHK dismiss the Head of News & Deputy Controller of Programming on Manx Radio as just some bird/bloke with a pen and paper who talks on the radio, or something like that.

Highly unlikely. Unless, of course she began investigating the behaviour of government but this is also unlikely given that the condition of the continuing subvention was for MF to back off from asking awkward questions. 

Remember Howard ‘going in the huff’ because MF dared to report that he could have done better? 

Howard. He was only a man with yellow shoes. 

• Haha 1

Not too long ago, the format of, "The Mannin Line" was changed following complaints from politicos that callers were making too much criticism of Govt, was it not?

38 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You never hear a good rant on the Mannin Line; just the usual trusted callers. Perhaps they like to keep it that way.

I think you’re right. I only tried to ring up once to talk about Ashford. I was, believe or not, quite ‘animated’. The producer was very supportive but I naively hung on till the show ended. 

In retrospect. It was probably for the best. 

I posted about it on here and someone said I made the cardinal mistake of telling the producer the truth and would have been better telling them some bullshit story. 

Even so, it really was probably for the best. 

So, my experience is that the ones who get through are the non contentious ones. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I think you’re right. I only tried to ring up once to talk about Ashford. I was, believe or not, quite ‘animated’. The producer was very supportive but I naively hung on till the show ended. 

In retrospect. It was probably for the best. 

I posted about it on here and someone said I made the cardinal mistake of telling the producer the truth and would have been better telling them some bullshit story. 

Even so, it really was probably for the best. 

So, my experience is that the ones who get through are the non contentious ones. 

And yet some on here claim this doesn't happen. 

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

Wonder why Hetty (as we affectionately called her) did not look back to this exercise by her predecessor? 

Did it result in an actual plan? 

There were several plans,which included vaccination plans and sites as well as closing borders and the like.  It appears to have been expunged from the gov website and I can't find it in the PAC evidence, but it was submitted.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/nobles-hospital-flu-pandemic-plan/

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Not too long ago, the format of, "The Mannin Line" was changed following complaints from politicos that callers were making too much criticism of Govt, was it not?

Well BONZO Is frequently on criticising government & I think he was calling for an election over Cannans change to Crogga regulations 

10 minutes ago, cissolt said:

There were several plans,which included vaccination plans and sites as well as closing borders and the like.  It appears to have been expunged from the gov website and I can't find it in the PAC evidence, but it was submitted.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/nobles-hospital-flu-pandemic-plan/

This was taken from the pandemic preparedness plan questioned during the PAC.  I will find the original somewhere.  But the myth that we didn't have a plan is a convenient excuse for the failures of govt.

Screenshot_2023-08-05-09-28-50-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

34 minutes ago, Zarley said:

And yet some on here claim this doesn't happen. 

It can’t not happen. The radio station has a duty of care to their listeners. They also have to make sure they don’t get in trouble. If there was no need for ‘screening’ then the call would go straight through to the presenter ,

On 8/5/2023 at 8:17 AM, Non-Believer said:

We have a government so dysfunctional that its daftest ideas are constantly being thwarted by its own incompetence.

• Like 1

Just the usual dire stuff. At around 2:00 or so, Robertshaw talks about documents being released by the gov. in response to a FoI request - but with the metadata removed. So it is not possible to examine who or how the document had been handled. And is this against the FoI rules?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:20 PM, Gladys said:

She is not the head of investigative journalism.  Is she the news editor or even a journalist? 

I am not sure of your intent with this comment (I have never been susceptible to subtleties and nuances), but to continue the Woodward/Bernstein analogy (according to the film, anyway) Benjamin Bradley - the editor above Woodward/Bernstein - played a significant role in continuing the investigation.

Espey is "our Head of News". She is in the same position - able to determine where investigations are made.

52 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I am not sure of your intent with this comment (I have never been susceptible to subtleties and nuances), but to continue the Woodward/Bernstein analogy (according to the film, anyway) Benjamin Bradley - the editor above Woodward/Bernstein - played a significant role in continuing the investigation.

Espey is "our Head of News". She is in the same position - able to determine where investigations are made.

and thats why there is a perception some of the politicians and executives  are getting away  with so much , surly a news  editor is not just there to be a propagandist for executive government , I thought our media   had a duty to be balanced  and give opposing views , but perhaps I am  being naive  ?