Is the Isle of Man Government becoming despotic?

Boo Gay'n

This really is a load of overly expensive bollocks and faff!

The summary will more than likely be that the government were trying to act in the best interests of everyone, made a few mistakes as they were not prepared for a pandemic and followed the UK, believing that they had things in hand with a well rehearsed action plan. 

It's all hindsight as at the time, nobody had a clue what was happening and how serious or otherwise Covid was. 

The main lesson to be learned from this is, have a suite of actions planned for serious incidents and world events. I always thought that we did, now I realise we don't. I wonder how we'll cope when the UK is blown to smithereens, which is a possibility!  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Could someone please remind me what happened over the weekend of 13-15 March 2020?

Decision whether to close borders. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Could someone please remind me what happened over the weekend of 13-15 March 2020?

"The Department of Health and Social Care stepped in to run the home on 13 April after an outbreak of the virus and residents were moved out the following month."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-55178508

There are a few videos as well, one on Isle of Man TV and and earlier one.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Dr Ranson attempted to brief CoMin that the borders should be closed but was prevented from doing so (allegedly).

Covid arrived on Sunday 15th.

As I've already said on this thread, even if the Doc had given her advice and CoMin had agreed to close the borders, would they have done so by Sunday 15th? Not a chance. There were no regulations in place, nor were there any quarantine arrangements. No matter what Doc R said or did, covid got in on that Sunday.

She was treated terribly thereafter but Moulton seems to be obsessed with the 13-15 weekend and just won't let it go. He's making himself look a right eejit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, piebaps said:

She was treated terribly thereafter but Moulton seems to be obsessed with the 13-15 weekend and just won't let it go. He's making himself look a right eejit.

The only people who look bad in all of this are the people who ignored and were shockingly bad to Dr Ranson. Moulton is just a journo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Dr Ranson attempted to brief CoMin that the borders should be closed but was prevented from doing so (allegedly).

As I've already said on this thread, even if the Doc had given her advice and CoMin had agreed to close the borders, would they have done so by Sunday 15th? Not a chance. There were no regulations in place, nor were there any quarantine arrangements. No matter what Doc R said or did, covid got in on that Sunday.

It was already well established by then... most folk who had it initially in December '19 , Jan & early Feb '20 thought it was flu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, piebaps said:

We don't really know if Covid arrived on the 15th, I remember thinking that this was very unlikely as nobody knew the travel patterns or contacts of everyone who came and went previous to this date. 

It would have been a difficult decision to cut off the island from the outside world, unprecedented in fact, but it may have slowed the spread?  

If this inquiry is looking for meaningful lessons, at great expense I may add, they would be best to just sum it up now by resolving to treat people with respect. Anything else is just a witch hunt and a pathetic waste of taxpayer's money!

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

We don't really know if Covid arrived on the 15th, I remember thinking that this was very unlikely as nobody knew the travel patterns or contacts of everyone who came and went previous to this date. 

It would have been a difficult decision to cut off the island from the outside world, unprecedented in fact, but it may have slowed the spread?  

If this inquiry is looking for meaningful lessons, at great expense I may add, they would be best to just sum it up now by resolving to treat people with respect. Anything else is just a witch hunt and a pathetic waste of taxpayer's money!

The bit I'm interested in is what she will have to say about Abbotswood.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It was already well established by then... most folk who had it initially in December '19 , Jan & early Feb '20 thought it was flu.

I’d agree with that. I had the worse flu ever start of February that was exactly like the bout of Covid I had about 18 months later. To say we had no Covid here before the 15th March is reality defying bollocks. We had no proven cases here then as we simply weren’t testing people then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

It’s perfect conspiracy stuff. Trying to link a few bullet points redacted from a PowerPoint that a Dr supposedly was stopped from presenting and a small delay in closing the borders directly with deaths at an old people home. Notwithstanding that I’d be perfectly confident that Covid was already here anyway as the IOM population is so internationally mobile. I know plenty who had flown in from Asia across the first few months of the year and plenty like myself who were wiped out by flu in January and February. It’s virtually impossible to say that a) We didn’t already have covid here on the 15th March, and b) The delay of a handful of days in closing the border had any real impact on what went on at Abbotswood or anywhere else. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

4 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Well, I hope Cueey did anyway - seems a waste just dumping all that good stuff here, when it could help the inquiry.

As I have pointed out several times on here. Your pointless yet persistent childish jibes are futile as I simply could not care less what your view or opinion is on anything I may post. So by extension I honestly could not give one shit what your view is regarding anything I may of may not have done in relation to the covid review. Literally not one shit at all. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Decision whether to close borders. 

didn't someone have to wait for their daughter to come home before taking the decision to close the Borders ?  you don't hear much about him these  days   but he was part of a famous double act ? 

answers on a post card please  to Buckingham palace 

• Like 1