Is the Isle of Man Government becoming despotic?

Boo Gay'n

11 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The danger of him being as thick as toast is...he'll get warned off or fobbed off and not discover what he's really on to. And then there's no reporters left.

He's not a 'lone wolf', Albert. And "thick as toast" unfair, given his efforts so far. He's learning on the job, but he's obviously barking up the right tree given the legal response from government.

He's become Hooper's nemesis. A troublesome boil on the fat arse of the department.

Can't see him giving up on this now, only a much-publicised threat of serious legal consequences will shut him up and probably to be expected. More so if he intends to have Zandra Lewis interviewed. I think the prospect of that has the famous five properly rattled.

Time will tell...

Edited by quilp
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Weliveinhope said:

Does the Governor hold any power over government? If there is such a thing as a vote of no confidence it would be pointless being put forward via the MHK route. This is another area where our 'government of unity' seeks purely to protect itself. Is there any recourse at all or are we stuck like this until the next election?

There's some irony in expecting the epitome of the old boys club on the island to help us out with this.

The existence of the guvnor is a huge part of the problem with our government, certainly not part of the solution. We need to increase democracy, not look to some unelected, colonial type to further remove it.

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

There's some irony in expecting the epitome of the old boys club on the island to help us out with this.

The existence of the guvnor is a huge part of the problem with our government, certainly not part of the solution. We need to increase democracy, not look to some unelected, colonial type to further remove it.

Seriously?

Can you imagine the antics of IoM government/Government without the presence of the Governor?

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, quilp said:

He's not a 'lone wolf', Albert. And "thick as toast" unfair, given his efforts so far. He's learning on the job, but he's obviously barking up the right tree given the legal response from government.

He's become Hooper's nemesis. A troublesome boil on the fat arse of the department.

Can't see him giving up on this now, only a much-publicised threat of serious legal consequences will shut him up and probably to be expected. More so if he intends to have Zara Lewis interviewed. I think the prospect of that has the famous five properly rattled.

Time will tell...

I just wish he'd learn to ask questions, instead of the rambling waffle that makes little sense. He needs to learn in what situations to opine his views and when to remain neutral in order that the interviewee is able to get their points across. Otherwise it ends up looking like a witch hunt. I watched the interview with the whistleblower guy from a few weeks back, and felt his argument was nulified to some extent by PM's interjections.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

I just wish he'd learn to ask questions, instead of the rambling waffle that makes little sense. He needs to learn in what situations to opine his views and when to remain neutral in order that the interviewee is able to get their points across. Otherwise it ends up looking like a witch hunt. I watched the interview with the whistleblower guy from a few weeks back, and felt his argument was nulified to some extent by PM's interjections.

You’re right. We all know this. Although, in Paul’s defence, he has made some improvements to his approach in the last few months b

Right now we should be supporting him at whatever level he’s operating at.

He is the only investigative journalist right now who is taking the government to task.

He’s doing well enough. 

Edited by Roxanne
Spelling and add some words.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You’re right. We all known this. Although, in Paul’s defence, he has made some improvements to his approach.

He is the only investigative journalist right now who is taking the government to task.

He’s doing well enough. 

totally agree, and i think improvements would hit home a lot harder

• Like 3

The NPM has today an interview with the Peoples Prince who says that ‘confidence in Cannans administration is at an all time low’. He is probably right, but he crept and fawned CM Cannan to get his Ministerial role last year, and it went pear shaped. He is right in his assertions and it’s a matter of time before something gives or someone turns, 

4 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

totally agree, and i think improvements would hit home a lot harder

Possibly,but realistically,they’ve just hit him with a SLAPP so he’s fairly obviously hit them hard enough, for now  

What I would say is that if his presentation was more polished then it would gain more traction and more followers and that would attract more attention from further afield perhaps? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You’re right. We all know this. Although, in Paul’s defence, he has made some improvements to his approach in the last few months b

He’s doing well enough. 

He isn’t an investigative journalist. He’s become the go to for every conspiracy theorist, malcontent, person with axe to grind or those washed up has been who crave attention. He presents it all totally uncritically.

At best, and worst, he’s an enabler for those who think they’ve been disenfranchised. That’s really dangerous for society.

Ive no idea whether the claims of Zandra Lewis are true. The correct place for them to be made now is in the covid enquiry. PM didn’t question whether her view was balanced or arises out of a sense of unjustified grievance as to the closure of the home and the death of residents and her loss of employment. 

• Like 2