Is the Isle of Man Government becoming despotic?

Boo Gay'n

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Possibly,but realistically,they’ve just hit him with a SLAPP so he’s fairly obviously hit them hard enough, for now  

What I would say is that if his presentation was more polished then it would gain more traction and more followers and that would attract more attention from further afield perhaps? 

Except that, if what he is publishing is defamatory ( and if untrue it clearly is seriously defamatory of identifiable employees of DHSC ) then there is nothing wrong with telling him to stop, not repeat, or face proceedings. That’s not necessarily a SLAPP. That’s best practice.

Like so many things we just don’t know.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, John Wright said:

He isn’t an investigative journalist. He’s become the go to for every conspiracy theorist, malcontent, person with axe to grind or those washed up has been who crave attention. He presents it all totally uncritically.

At best, and worst, he’s an enabler for those who think they’ve been disenfranchised. That’s really dangerous for society.

Ive no idea whether the claims of Zandra Lewis are true. The correct place for them to be made now is in the covid enquiry. PM didn’t question whether her view was balanced or arises out of a sense of unjustified grievance as to the closure of the home and the death of residents and her loss of employment. 

She used to be a shareholder and got a £1mln + payout to buy her shareholding after all the COVID fiasco. Im not sure she's too bitter.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

He isn’t an investigative journalist. He’s become the go to for every conspiracy theorist, malcontent, person with axe to grind or those washed up has been who crave attention. He presents it all totally uncritically.

At best, and worst, he’s an enabler for those who think they’ve been disenfranchised. That’s really dangerous for society.

Ive no idea whether the claims of Zandra Lewis are true. The correct place for them to be made now is in the covid enquiry. PM didn’t question whether her view was balanced or arises out of a sense of unjustified grievance as to the closure of the home and the death of residents and her loss of employment. 

One question. 

Without him, who would you suggest take’s this up? Investigative journalist or not. 

• Thanks 1

Is there a copy of this alleged letter to Moulton published somewhere?

I don't understand how people can comment on the substance of the alleged IOM Government behaviour here without more details as to what they've allegedly written. I can imagine reasonable circumstances for such alleged legal letters and I can imagine unreasonable circumstances for such alleged letters. The difference depends on the details.

I feel that it is normal for professional journalists to publish appropriate details and provide documentation to support claims that they made of this nature - this would help the audience comprehend the specifics of what has actually happened.

5 minutes ago, Josem said:

I don't understand how people can comment on the substance of the alleged IOM Government behaviour here without more details as to what they've allegedly written. I can imagine reasonable circumstances for such alleged legal letters and I can imagine unreasonable circumstances for such alleged letters. The difference depends on the details.

I feel that it is normal for professional journalists to publish appropriate details and provide documentation to support claims that they made of this nature - this would help the audience comprehend the specifics of what has actually happened.

Because if Moulton published a letter saying "You must not make allegations about [X] or we will take legal action", he would effectively be triggering legal action by publicising allegations about [X].  Remember the whole point about SLAPP suits is to "silence critics by burdening them with the cost of a legal defense until they abandon their criticism or opposition".  So you don't want to give them any excuse.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Josem said:

I think it’d also be helpful if MTPA declared its funders.

I can’t take criticism of Moulton seriously from Hoopers pen pal.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because if Moulton published a letter saying "You must not make allegations about [X] or we will take legal action", he would effectively be triggering legal action by publicising allegations about [X].  Remember the whole point about SLAPP suits is to "silence critics by burdening them with the cost of a legal defense until they abandon their criticism or opposition".  So you don't want to give them any excuse.

Why is calin wild issuing the slapp and not the ag?  Is it still related to the Ranson saga if the AG is conflicted?

27 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Surely it has got to be possible to discuss such issues of public interest in greater detail than what has been discussed so far. In the absence of any detail or specifics, it is difficult to know whether Paul's characterisation is fair and accurate.

28 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Oh look at you, Josem, commenting on someone else not providing the receipts, as it were. You're quite the "do as I say, not as I do" kinda guy are you not. FFS

I'm very proud to routinely provide documentation to substantiate my claims, such as:

I don't think that any of the legacy media outlets in the Isle of Man have even reported on more than a couple of these things despite the obvious evidence and documentation provided.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Even a redacted version?

30 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Why is calin wild issuing the slapp and not the ag?  Is it still related to the Ranson saga if the AG is conflicted?

Well Moulton's tweet referred to "gatekeeper civil servants" which may be a reference to those who prevented Ranson's advice going to CoMin.  This was from memory a committee of Randall, Davies, Greenhow, Magson and Lewin, though of course it would only need a majority of those to block the advice.  So it's probably Ranson-related, but it may just be easier to use a private law firm for this sort of thing anyway - they're less likely to ask questions.