Is the Isle of Man Government becoming despotic?

Boo Gay'n

2 minutes ago, manxchester said:

Reply from Hooper, never mind the fact he comes across as a right condescending twat hasn’t he got anything better to do in working hours than spend his time on Twitter? 

85920009-B087-4581-916D-F0DFED141148.jpeg

You can see in his second response he knows exactly what its about.

I am in absolute shock at the sheer contempt of the guy.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Banker said:

Confidence in Alf’s administration at all time low, got to agree with Rob on that

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/confidence-in-cannans-administration-at-an-all-time-low-says-mhk/

Less about confidence in Cannan's administration and more about confidence in the whole political system, I'd suggest. Don't forget we had Quayle before this and Bell's 5 year retirement sendoff before that.

The last 20 years have been riddled with failure and scandal with the taxpayers invariably getting it in the neck on every occasion. People are pissed off and disillusioned. They aren't paying for these sort of things to be done in their name, they are paying for and expect good governance. None of that includes funding an entire self serving society of a civil service and blinkered, weak politicians doing that society's every bid in order to preserve it.

Time for UK to intervene.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The UK has enough to concern itself with. It won't bother stepping in. It's not worth their while. 

That might change if they scrap inheritance tax over there.. less reason to protect a tax haven where they kind hide their dirty little secrets. 

Alternatively, do we have any potential statesmen (or women) in the current crop? 

I really don't think we do. Christian has shown moments of promise but still seems to be an unknown quantity. 

The Manx Labour members worship at the altar of NetZero so would be a disaster. 

JPW seems to be a name that gets thrown into the mix when talking about the next CM. Before the election I though that Lord-Brennan could have been a shout, but she's been lobotomised into the Comin machine (probably always was).

• Like 1

It’s a zombie administration. There’s been a handful of Acts passed and stasis under interim chief execs. Greenhow binned anyone who might have been capable of succeeding him.

Who was the last Chief Exec who left under their own steam? The last one I can think of is Ian Thompson in about 2013. Loads of Departments are career graveyards above Director level. How many CEOs has Health had?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I suspect an “unknown quantity” might be worth a punt, when we consider the mess made by the quantities that we know only too well…

Perhaps unknown substance is a better phrase? We know we have several tons of shit in Tynwald already... maybe there's some gold in there too?