The emotional and financial cost of doing business on the Isle of Man

jackwhite

1 hour ago, ADELE said:

The Chamber of Commerce do not have many members when you consider the number of businesses on the Island.    Most of the members are big players and are out to protect their own interests and in no way do they represent the many businesses on he Island.   I doubt they have 100 members.

You're right to doubt 100 members, it's over 400, according to their website. 😉 😂

Edited by jackwhite

14 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

You could speak to a human, and you probably knew them socially

I know that was intended to be a positive, but to me that depressingly sums up a huge negative about the IoM, that everything is done through cliques and funny handshakes. It shouldn't matter if you know someone at the lodge...sorry, I mean, "socially".. everyone should be entitled to the same professional level of service.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

There’s a AML/CFT audit by the global regulator coming up in the next 2-3 years. If the FSA isn’t regulating in the exact same way as in bigger jurisdictions then the island may well be grey-listed. And if you think red tape is bad now, look what happened in Malta when they got grey-listed.

Add Gibraltar to the list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Bastard said:

everyone should be entitled to the same professional level of service.

Here everyone does get the same service, at least from tax.

HMRC, meanwhile, have taken 10 months to reply to my letter asking them to tell me much tax I owe on a property in the UK.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Here everyone does get the same service, at least from tax.

HMRC, meanwhile, have taken 10 months to reply to my letter asking them to tell me much tax I owe on a property in the UK.

I think, if you have experienced HMRC and the Island’s tax office, you would never complain about ours. Comparatively, they are a pleasure to deal with. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, The Bastard said:

I know that was intended to be a positive, but to me that depressingly sums up a huge negative about the IoM, that everything is done through cliques and funny handshakes. It shouldn't matter if you know someone at the lodge...sorry, I mean, "socially".. everyone should be entitled to the same professional level of service.

An object lesson in turning a positive into a negative. Everyone does receive the same professional level of service from ITD. Do you know someone who has had a better experience at their hands for the reasons you state, or are you just making that up?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, woolley said:

An object lesson in turning a positive into a negative. Everyone does receive the same professional level of service from ITD. Do you know someone who has had a better experience at their hands for the reasons you state, or are you just making that up?

You're missing the point entirely. My comment's not about the (excellent) level of service from ITD (which you'll note I didn't quote), my observation was about the "know them socially" comment. So much over here is done over the jungle telegraph, through knuckle-rubbing and cliques, it shouldn't be seen as a positive way to get things done.

4 hours ago, The Bastard said:

You're missing the point entirely. My comment's not about the (excellent) level of service from ITD (which you'll note I didn't quote), my observation was about the "know them socially" comment. So much over here is done over the jungle telegraph, through knuckle-rubbing and cliques, it shouldn't be seen as a positive way to get things done.

You've perhaps misunderstood me. It's not about poor or better service.

Whether it was me dealing with a victim or Bill in the tax office sorting something for me, we all have to look each other in the eye, at the time and often afterwards 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 6:42 AM, The Bastard said:

I have never been a member of a lodge and I’ve never found, or considered, myself to be at a disadvantage because of that.

Perhaps it’s all done in the background?  But then how would you know?

An example or two might help clarify

• Like 1

Jack, I've had recent experience of the Cafe/ Take Away situation in Sheffield. They are every other premises for many long streets. Can they all be profitable without the support perhaps of their family parents? Or even the local mafia!!!

So these places can survive for some time without the need for a truly profitable business, what their parents have will become theirs soon and in the meantime the kids are  kept in meaningful employment rather than leaching on their parents business and reducing overall profit of the family business.!!!!

There isn't quite this situation on the Island now, I  think the mafia was much reduced in it's power some time ago?

SO , a vegan cafe can survive for a short time until people realise that they can get the same from an non meatfree cafe!!!

Edited by Kopek

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, Avacado said:

Many would say it’s people like this who are the main problem with why you can’t get anything done here now. The tick boxers who demand that you do as they say not as they do. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/dishonest-finance-boss-who-altered-emails-banned-from-top-industry-jobs-659462

Shoddy behaviour. 

I'm not sure the main problem with the Isle of Man is that people in the finance sector aren't allowed to be as corrupt and incompetent as (some) people in the public sector.

Odd that the story seems to have disappeared completely.  I assume that it referred to the IOM FSA's issuing of a Public Statement Concerning the Prohibition of Mr Anthony Thomas Cooke about a week ago.  This related to the guy who altered email valuations concerning the value of his house, during divorce proceedings (the Statement says his sentence was reduced on appeal).

• Like 1