Beggars in Strand Street

Manx Bean

36 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Wonder how they got here? 

Possibly gives them a chance to break away from the gang leaders?   They were in the UK illegally, so.possibly smuggled in?

Let's hope they are dealt with in a way which makes sure they don't end up back with the gang. 

I wonder if IOMG are arranging their plane ticket off the island back to Romania? Or will it be a ticket on the Manxman?

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

Let us hope they go back and tell all of their friends they got banged up.

At the Hilton. No doubt they will leave the island with money from DHSC to tide them over. I know a few Romanians who are very hard working, educated and are self employed, paying taxes and contributing to the economy. Sadly the reputation gives their compatriots a negative press.

Edited by 2112

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

At the Hilton. No doubt they will leave the island with money from DHSC to tide them over. I know a few Romanians who are very hard working, educated and are self employed, paying taxes and contributing to the economy. Sadly the reputation gives their compatriots a negative press.

I am sure. It did cross my mind that it might be more agreeable at the Hilton than the conditions they have "enjoyed" under their handlers, if they have any.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

I am sure. It did cross my mind that it might be more agreeable at the Hilton than the conditions they have "enjoyed" under their handlers, if they have any.

Of course we do not know these people's circumstances.  But there is the possibility that they have been trafficked, and do have handlers who  are probably exploiting them in recompense for arranging their transportation to the UK.  It is possible that the handlers hold some control over their family in Romania as 'security' for the debt. 

Jurby probably is more agreeable, but at least they have a three week period of safety if the above is indeed what has happened.  

I can't imagine that they came to the UK then thought the IOM would be an easy touch without someone orchestrating that in the background.   That someone may well have misread the situation here.

If this is what has happened here, you can only have sympathy and concern for them and I hope the authorities don't abandon them back to the wolves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Again, let's enter UK illegally then go to an island with a small population and beg. Nobodys going to notice us. ?

Yes a critical mistake. It says they were married so less likely to be a gang and more likely to be a very poor decision to go and beg in an island where two beggars stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe they did their market research and thought they might corner the IOM begging market? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1