Beggars in Strand Street

Manx Bean

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes a critical mistake. It says they were married so less likely to be a gang and more likely to be a very poor decision to go and beg in an island where two beggars stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe they did their market research and thought they might corner the IOM begging market? 

Still missing the point. 

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Still missing the point. 

They're in the UK illegally, once leaving here UK immigration will deal with them. Good job all round I say.

Also 3 of the 4 had been warned earlier this month,left and returned. If they're under duress they've had ample opportunity to speak up

Edited by thommo2010
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

They're in the UK illegally, once leaving here UK immigration will deal with them. Good job all round I say.

Also 3 of the 4 had been warned earlier this month,left and returned. If they're under duress they've had ample opportunity to speak up

Yes, good job, I agree. 

So what happened to the 3 previously warned?  Did they return to the UK under their own steam, or did a friend give them a lift in a van?  Or did they stay?

If they were under duress, do you really expect them to speak up in a foreign country, with unknown laws, and in fear not just of the process they were in but also their 'handlers"? 

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, good job, I agree. 

So what happened to the 3 previously warned?  Did they return to the UK under their own steam, or did a friend give them a lift in a van?  Or did they stay?

If they were under duress, do you really expect them to speak up in a foreign country, with unknown laws, and in fear not just of the process they were in but also their 'handlers"? 

The 3 previously warned have just been sent to jail.

• Thanks 1

Manx Radio have now updated the story as promised and and it's a good, comprehensive bit of work (we might as well praise them when they get things right):

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/jail-for-romanians-caught-begging-in-strand-street/

As thommo says three of these were those who were dealt with earlier in the month (see link on first page) which suggests they were particularly dumb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Manx Radio have now updated the story as promised and and it's a good, comprehensive bit of work (we might as well praise them when they get things right):

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/jail-for-romanians-caught-begging-in-strand-street/

As thommo says three of these were those who were dealt with earlier in the month (see link on first page) which suggests they were particularly dumb.

Or under coercion.  I do hope that angle is being looked at. 

• Like 1

Though Manx Radio still didn't get everything right:

The four were prosecuted under the Vagrancy Act of 1986.

Stoica, Vasiliu and Baicu were charged with: ‘Wandering abroad … not having any visible means of subsistence, and not giving a good account of himself.’

Enache was charged with: ‘Wandering abroad and endeavouring, by the exposure of wounds and deformities, to obtain or gather alms.’

Though if you think the language doesn't sound quite right for 1986 (despite Thatcher's best efforts), it's a typo for 1896.

• Like 1

so from having no means of support they are now in free board and lodgings with 3 meals a day , i bet they're really upset.  i find it amusing that a law from the 1800's was needed to actually charge them with something yet poor old courtney headcase can't have his trial by jury based on something from the 1700's  , maybe he should ask for trial by combat.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WTF said:

so from having no means of support they are now in free board and lodgings with 3 meals a day , i bet they're really upset.  i find it amusing that a law from the 1800's was needed to actually charge them with something yet poor old courtney headcase can't have his trial by jury based on something from the 1700's  , maybe he should ask for trial by combat.

I'll fight him: I choose syringes.

• Haha 6