Beggars in Strand Street

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

Had a quick look and looks like UK passport holders going to schnegen have a worse deal than EU passport holders coming  to the UK .

How did we end up worse off than them 😞

It’s still 180 days a year, just divided up differently.

what this demonstrates is that UK did have control of its borders with 3rd countries, before Brexit. Neither the UK and Schengen/EU provisions for third countries have changed. Just the status of UK to Schengen/EU and vice versa.

Ive friends who Schengen shuffle in motorhomes. 90 days in Schengen, 90 days in non Schengen EU ( Bulgaria/Romania ) a few days in between in Turkey, Serbia, Bosnia, Macedonia, even Morocco. Or just Ireland 

More complicated than it looks. As day 90 equates to a full day in both, so you end up being short a day or two every 3 months.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

One of them said they had £1000 in the bank?

From IoM Today

“Stoica told police that he had £1,000 in a bank account and £200 in cash”

they were arrested on 22 July and in court 24 July. That’s 3 days in police custody as part days count as a full day.

A 21 day sentence amounts to 10 days inside. 28 to 14. At latest the 3 with 10 day sentences will be out 7am on 31/7, but I suspect 7am on Friday 28/7. The 28 days Thursday next week.

I'm really shocked!  This means the Manx media had two reporters in Court, rather that just relying on the same guy.  This is unprecedented.

To confuse the story even further Stoica (the man with the money) claims to be married to Vasiliu (who says she hasn't any).  Or maybe that's not that unusual.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

what this demonstrates is that UK did have control of its borders with 3rd countries, before Brexit. Neither the UK and Schengen/EU provisions for third countries have changed. Just the status of UK to Schengen/EU and vice versa.

Ive friends who Schengen shuffle in motorhomes. 90 days in Schengen, 90 days in non Schengen EU ( Bulgaria/Romania ) a few days in between in Turkey, Serbia, Bosnia, Macedonia, even Morocco. Or just Ireland 

More complicated than it looks. As day 90 equates to a full day in both, so you end up being short a day or two every 3 months.

They wouldn't have had to shuffle and could have stayed at the same place for 6 months if we had the same rights as the EU passports holders in the UK 

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’m intrigued by the suggestion they’re illegal immigrants. 

My understanding of the post Brexit arrangements is that EU citizens can enter UK for 180 consecutive days stay without a visa.

If they’ve been in UK for longer than 180 it begs the question as to why that hasn’t been picked up in UK before now, and why it wasn’t picked up on 5 July?

You really believe they're that much on the ball in the UK about who is in the country? That's without considering the possibility of false/multiple identities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Do you do a side line in clothes pegs John?

24 minutes ago, woolley said:

You really believe they're that much on the ball in the UK about who is in the country? That's without considering the possibility of false/multiple identities.

More a question of they’ve probably been begging and possibly had interaction with the authorities. They should have passports which should have a dated entry stamp. False identity wouldn’t be the problem, the passport should still have been stamped. Multiple identities equates to multiple passports - but only one with an entry stamp.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

They wouldn't have had to shuffle and could have stayed at the same place for 6 months if we had the same rights as the EU passports holders in the UK 

Why do you think the EU should have made special, and separate, different arrangements,  for 3rd country Brits, or that UK should have made made special, and separate, different arrangements,  for 3rd country EU citizens, post Brexit.

Everyone knew the other would become a 3rd country and what each others 3rd party visa free travel arrangements were.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Why do you think the EU should have made special, and separate, different arrangements,  for 3rd country Brits, or that UK should have made made special, and separate, different arrangements,  for 3rd country EU citizens, post Brexit.

Everyone knew the other would become a 3rd country and what each others 3rd party visa free travel arrangements were.

Agree .. But  I'm so annoyed as I wanted to start  spending  winters  in either Portugal or Spain in a few years time and the new rules are a pain.

I'm looking at a portugal golden visa as that seems to be an option with minimal residency requirements ( 7 days per year ) and I do far more than that anyway..

There is the D7 route but I don't anticipate to move there full time right now 

Edited by mad_manx

3 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Agree .. But  I'm so annoyed as I wanted to start  spending  winters  in either Portugal or Spain in a few years time and the new rules are a pain.

I'm looking at a portugal golden visa as that seems to be an option with minimal residency requirements ( 7 days per year ) and I do far more than that anyway..

There is the D7 route but I don't anticipate to move there full time right now 

Just join the local fire brigade.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

"'I Voted for Brexit Now it's Harming Me!' 3 Years On"

British pensioners in "I shot myself in the foot" Spanish Brexit drama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

A fifth Romanian has been jailed for vagrancy.  Seems he was arrested in early July with the others and taken to the boat and told to leave.  He didn't. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/fifth-romanian-jailed-for-begging-in-douglas-town-centre/

Pretty sure all the 5/7 lot did get on boat. Some came back