Beggars in Strand Street

Manx Bean

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Second paragraph applies to all 6 cases

What I meant was, I get the new broom possibility.  But, in the cases of  begging, have there been beggars here who were just quietly put back on the boat?  We would have heard if there had been prior to these five people; that is the kind of news that travels quite quickly. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Not sure he was begging.paid the fare over to see a friend, he says. Then didn’t have the fare back.

My suspicion is that there’s a new broom and that in the past they’d just have been put on the boat with no action.

You’re probably right.  Sleeping outside the terminal isn’t anything new. Not having money for the fare probably isn’t that uncommon either. 

But, why just not let the poor bugger get on the boat? Surely a £35 fare is cheaper than taking him though legal process? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Not sure he was begging.paid the fare over to see a friend, he says. Then didn’t have the fare back.

My suspicion is that there’s a new broom and that in the past they’d just have been put on the boat with no action.

Years ago put on boat with Social Services voucher. 

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What I meant was, I get the new broom possibility.  But, in the cases of  begging, have there been beggars here who were just quietly put back on the boat?  We would have heard if there had been prior to these five people; that is the kind of news that travels quite quickly. 

Not sure we would if there was no arrest, no prosecution, no request for translators.

24 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You’re probably right.  Sleeping outside the terminal isn’t anything new. Not having money for the fare probably isn’t that uncommon either. 

But, why just not let the poor bugger get on the boat? Surely a £35 fare is cheaper than taking him though legal process? 

Totally agree.

There’s some message sending going on.

used to be said the Island had never had gypsies  on Island. In fact, for nearly 70 years, maybe more, there was a gypsy camp, with horses and hooped caravans, on Douglas Head below MR. There was even a gypsy king. Newspaper reports tell him drowning in the harbour on his way home from British to Head Road. Tommy and his family went bricks & mortar and into scrap metal and had a garage behind the Sefton in the 60’s, 70,s, 80’s, 90’s

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Probably because he didn't have money for the fare

2 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Probably because he didn't have money for the fare

Roxanne is contrasting the cost of the fare to Treasury or Police to the cost of arrest, processing, charging, taking to court, duty advocate, taking to Jurby, accommodating and feeding in Jurby, taking from Jurby to Sea Terminal and still paying his fare off Island.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would be much simpler if when found guilty they could waive their right of appeal in exchange for a boat ticket.

Mind you, they might view time in the Jurby Hilton four square and all found as a bit of a result!

23 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I agree , plus of course how much it costs to keep in at Jurby. Wonder if this guy was in UK illegally  too. If so a call to UK immigration and met of the boat would do it I would have thought . 

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Roxanne is contrasting the cost of the fare to Treasury or Police to the cost of arrest, processing, charging, taking to court, duty advocate, taking to Jurby, accommodating and feeding in Jurby, taking from Jurby to Sea Terminal and still paying his fare off Island.

As you have pointed out above John can't make them leave, maybe years ago they would have been put on the boat no fuss but in this day and age of lawsuits etc then everything needs to be done by the book. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

It would be much simpler if when found guilty they could waive their right of appeal in exchange for a boat ticket.

Mind you, they might view time in the Jurby Hilton four square and all found as a bit of a result!

They’ve tried that. It was the usual thing after a birching sentence. It’s been found to be irregular, highly irregular.

2 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

As you have pointed out above John can't make them leave, maybe years ago they would have been put on the boat no fuss but in this day and age of lawsuits etc then everything needs to be done by the book. 

Yes, but, as you and I both know, they could be arrested and offered the choice of prosecution or leave.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They’ve tried that. It was the usual thing after a birching sentence. It’s been found to be irregular, highly irregular.

So what?

Is this an independent legislature or what?

A Customs Officer was complicit in the "Hamilton Jet minus VAT" farrago which I thought was "highly irregular" but it didn't stop them doing it how many times?

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So what?

Is this an independent legislature or what?

A Customs Officer was complicit in the "Hamilton Jet minus VAT" farrago which I thought was "highly irregular" but it didn't stop them doing it how many times?

Hamilton Jet was legal and regular and done under identical UK legislation. The only difference between UK and IoM was that it might take 6 months to get the VAT refund. IoM did it in one day.

You can’t take away, or make, or accept a waiver of, a right of appeal in criminal proceedings, independent legislature or not.

16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Don’t you think him outside in a sleeping bag collecting money for his fare was a pretty good indication of him wanting to leave?

And yes, as John has pointed out, my point was that the cost of just allowing him on would have been far less than due process. We’re paying for it either way  

Are common sense and discretion not allowed any more?