Beggars in Strand Street

Manx Bean

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve not seen the beggars ( or whatever you may call them) in Strand Street.

But I was across a couple of weeks ago in a northern town.

I saw a lady sat on the pavement,  in a wretched condition with a plastic cup and a handmade sign in English describing her “plight”

I put a couple of quid in her cup.

Did I do wrong? Yes she may have been part of one of these “gangs”, quite possibly.

But all I saw in front of me was a lady, seemingly in distress. 

I may well have been duped and she was undeserving, But she obviously was not living the life of Riley to have to make money in this way, however little of a percentage she got out of my two quid.

I’m probably naive but I’d rather be that than uncaring

You probably donated £2 to some oiks next trip to flannels

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You probably donated £2 to some oiks next trip to flannels

You’re kind of missing the point. Once it’s given, it’s gone. Whether it goes to flannels, beer, or a tattoo, it no longer belongs to the donator so your gentle scathing is meaningless. 

13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

May I suggest that the fifth is ‘trauma’. Unhealed trauma at that. And while it’s unhealed then those who live rough can take whatever comfort they can find to assuage it. 

Trauma. Might explain my problems then.

F'cking QPR.

Edited by Hoops

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I’d like a ‘love’ emoji for that one. ❤️

When I think back, we were young, naive, idealistic, political, romanticising........we were also very vulnerable. I got lucky, I has based mates to help me, I loved going to football and wanted to go every week which meant getting a job. So many truly righteous people didn't make it through. The allure of the darker side of things, the parasites praying on the vulnerable - I learnt some hard lessons.

I don't have religion, but one of the reasons I don't join in the constant attacks on it is, it was often people who had religion who were there offering support to those who fell through the cracks. Sure, some wanted you to join up, so to speak, but others ran hostels, gave food and clothes, the religion being a vehicle to drive their inherent goodness.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You’re kind of missing the point. Once it’s given, it’s gone. Whether it goes to flannels, beer, or a tattoo, it no longer belongs to the donator so your gentle scathing is meaningless. 

No sorry Rox. You are missing the point. Everytime you give money you propagate the industry. If no one ever gave beggars money there would be no begging.

There are better ways to help the homeless without encouraging organised crime. Give them some soup....see their scathing look.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

May I suggest that the fifth is ‘trauma’. Unhealed trauma at that. And while it’s unhealed then those who live rough can take whatever comfort they can find to assuage it. 

I think un healed trauma would come under abuse, LGBT rejection and PTSD

47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No sorry Rox. You are missing the point. Everytime you give money you propagate the industry. If no one ever gave beggars money there would be no begging.

There are better ways to help the homeless without encouraging organised crime. Give them some soup....see their scathing look.

Your cynical view will never solve anything. You’re so afraid of helping the tiny percentage of professional beggars that you withdraw from them all completely.

It’s a common strategy that gives you a cop out and allows you to do nothing.

In another thread, you wouldn’t even knock on the door of a neighbour over their vehicle obstruction for fear of getting ‘beaten up’, even though the likelihood of that is also tiny. You renege on your part in collective responsibility because of the ‘cop outs’ you’ve given yourself 

Edited by Roxanne
Remove a line.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Your cynical view will never solve anything. You’re so afraid of helping the tiny percentage of professional beggars that you withdraw from them all completely.

It’s a common strategy that gives you a cop out and allows you to do nothing.

In another thread, you wouldn’t even knock on the door of a neighbour over their vehicle obstruction for fear of getting ‘beaten up’, even though the likelihood of that is also tiny. You renege on your part in collective responsibility because of the ‘cop outs’ you’ve given yourself 

Last time we were in Manchester, we bought some young street fella a take away. He seemed made up.