Beggars in Strand Street

Manx Bean

13 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I don't give money to any charities when you look at the cash spend on managers etc you realise its pointless

It is the way of the world, Thommo.  The big charities are handling large amounts of money, it has to be regulated and that costs.  The smaller and local charities are the caught by the same regulation, adding to their costs as well. 

Gone are the days when altruism and good intent was all that is needed.

The only reason, originally, for charities to become registered was to gain the non-taxable status.  Of course, that left it open to abuse, and coupled with the potential for fraudulent pretend 'charities', there has to be a sound management structure in place. 

It is a bit of a dichotomy.

6 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But I believe that the likes of Oxfam should stick to their core objectives or risk losing income from those they are unnecessarily alienating. Money that could be put to good use.

Oxfam's core objectives now appear to be the promotion of far-left-of-centre 'orthodoxies', whilst masquerading as an anti-poverty organisation. The type of zero-sum economics and state interventionist policies it advocates have historically been a major poverty creation driver in many of the territories it operates. On top of that, it has been so poorly governed that its operatives felt they could sexually abuse vulverable people in some of the developing countries it operates in, with impunity. It's a wicked organisation doing active harm.

Fortunately (like much of the left) it now seems to be eating itself over gender issues. Internally, it's a basket case organisation mismanged by fruit-loop lefties who would be unemployable in the private sector. To those thinking of supporting Oxfam, please consider whether you might instead find a better anti-poverty charity. It would be hard to find a worse one.

• Thanks 1

While the phrase 'charity begins at home' is not actually about charity, a little tweak and it makes sense. Contribute to small local charities that you know are doing useful work in your area. Don't contribute to anything that advertises on tv.

• Like 5

I donated £8 a month to Red Cross a few years ago. Never missed the money and never really thought about it until they called me one Saturday morning to thank me for my donations and said they thought it was time I increased my donation. I went the other way and cancelled

I don’t like giving to huge charities as the risk for waste and corruption is too high (imho anyway). I rather give to smaller ones where I can see where the funds go. Like https://www.projectpearls.org/ or a few local ones here, including the wild bird one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

While the phrase 'charity begins at home' is not actually about charity, a little tweak and it makes sense. Contribute to small local charities that you know are doing useful work in your area. Don't contribute to anything that advertises on tv.

I’m not sure about that.

The advert on TV asking for funds to provide clean water for those who are currently drinking filthy, possibly contaminated water seems worthy as long as the charity itself doesn’t start skimming off donations for the purposes of “ diversity training” or whatever

Re just contributing to local charities only I’m afraid that gets my goat. I do contribute to local charities but when I see a sign on a collection box, say for a Manx Cancer charity saying “ all funds remain on the Island” as if that was a selling point I recoil in horror.

How many Cancer sufferers here have benefited from donations made across , or even further still? And other stuff, Dementia charities, arthritis etc etc.

Donations made on the Island alone could not begin to cover a fraction of the money required to purchase one piece of hardware which help these sufferers and to which they have access.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The advert on TV asking for funds to provide clean water for those who are currently drinking filthy, possibly contaminated water seems worthy as long as the charity itself doesn’t start skimming off donations for the purposes of “ diversity training” or whatever

I don't really watch tv but was recently subjected to thousands of appeals on ITV4s otherwise wonderful coverage of the tour de france. Those adverts, like the dirty water one or the sad donkeys, are specifically designed to manipulate. I am not falling for it.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

I don't really watch tv but was recently subjected to thousands of appeals on ITV4s otherwise wonderful coverage of the tour de france. Those adverts, like the dirty water one or the sad donkeys, are specifically designed to manipulate. I am not falling for it.

To manipulate what, who? What are you not falling for? Is there not dirty water or abused donkeys in this world? Is it all a big con?

(To be fair to the charities involved they are advertising at times when few people are watching so they would I imagine, get cheaper rates)

• Like 1