Beggars in Strand Street

Manx Bean

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

To manipulate what, who? What are you not falling for? Is there not dirty water or abused donkeys in this world? Is it all a big con?

(To be fair to the charities involved they are advertising at times when few people are watching so they would I imagine, get cheaper rates)

To manipulate old people into paying 'just £3 a month'. While they consider their own mortality and an easy cremation.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes I’ll just hop over to Spain for a few months to help out with neglected, abused donkeys shall I ?

Whatever rocks your boat.

Probably be a better use of your time than posting stuff like the above on here...

7 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

all funds remain on the Island” as if that was a selling point I recoil in horror.

7 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Donations made on the Island alone could not begin to cover a fraction of the money required to purchase one piece of hardware which help these sufferers and to which they have access.

Except you’re misunderstanding. Those Manx Cancer, and other, charities, aren’t funding research, but services on Island. The Hospice, Oncology Day Ward, the Manx Breast Ward,  the new “Maggies”, three of the scanners the Island has had. Capital costs that DHSC/Manx Care wouldn’t meet.

Give to them for that benefit, give to the UK wide ones for the research.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

To manipulate what, who?

All advertising and branding is manipulation. To buy something you don’t need, or to convince you A is better than B.

And some uses emotional blackmail of deformity or injury of humans and animals to tug at the heart strings. Strange, isn’t it, the Victorians recognised it in the Vagrancy Act which prohibits showing deformities to ask for alms, but TV brings the same straight into our home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, John Wright said:

All advertising and branding is manipulation. To buy something you don’t need, or to convince you A is better than B.

And some uses emotional blackmail of deformity or injury of humans and animals to tug at the heart strings. Strange, isn’t it, the Victorians recognised it in the Vagrancy Act which prohibits showing deformities to ask for alms, but TV brings the same straight into our home.

The afternoon grab for Granny's pennys. celebrities touting phoney products, sick kids sick animals, ropey life insurance, IMHO it is shamefull the way they target the elderly and vulnerable, where is Advertising standards theses days. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Marketing is a modern evil, pulling on primeval instincts we don't fully understand. 

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

You've somehow attributed the words of The Voice of Reason to me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't really watch tv but was recently subjected to thousands of appeals on ITV4s otherwise wonderful coverage of the tour de france. Those adverts, like the dirty water one or the sad donkeys, are specifically designed to manipulate. I am not falling for it.

they are working on an advert where sad donkeys only have dirty water to drink, it's going to be a real tear jerker.

• Haha 1

Hmm.  There's a lot of virtue-signalling going on here from people who are trying to show how virtuous they are by NOT giving any money to charity.  Of course if people were really concerned about charities misusing donations, they would actually investigate to find out which ones were the most effective according to whatever criteria they want to judge them on, and donate accordingly.  Rather than keeping all their money for themselves and expect everyone to admire them for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Except you’re misunderstanding. Those Manx Cancer, and other, charities, aren’t funding research, but services on Island. The Hospice, Oncology Day Ward, the Manx Breast Ward,  the new “Maggies”, three of the scanners the Island has had. Capital costs that DHSC/Manx Care wouldn’t meet.

Give to them for that benefit, give to the UK wide ones for the research.

I understand all that, but I suspect having given to the former, not many will also choose to give to the latter. 

It’s the usual “ Oh I only give to charities on the Island, charity begins at home” etc

The boast that “all monies remain on the Island” could also be interpreted as “ don’t worry, we won’t let those across and further afield, who also need support get their greedy mitts on it.”

It just seems mealy mouthed to me.

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I suspect having given to the former, not many will also choose to give to the latter. 

I suspect that your suspicion is wrong.   
I think most can see the difference between local charities providing practical on-island help and solutions for patients; and funding for long-term research which may provide treatments (or indeed cures) for everyone - if you’re inclined to give in the first place, surely you’d be inclined to give to both types?

Edited by Jarndyce
Added bracketed bit

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The boast that “all monies remain on the Island” could also be interpreted as “ don’t worry, we won’t let those across and further afield, who also need support get their greedy mitts on it.”

I kind of agree with this bit, though…I have interpreted this phrase in the same way, in times past…