Beggars in Strand Street

Manx Bean

14 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

I remember seeing  a documentary about it ..The Roma migrated from ? India hundreds of years ago .. So I suppose they look similar..

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Careful...

I’m just pointing out that Roma in the Balkans can be darker skinned than many light skinned Indians and people from Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m just pointing out that Roma in the Balkans can be darker skinned than many light skinned Indians and people from Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.

I knew what exactly what you meant. My comment was to @mad_manx.  I was a bit worried they were going to say that they all looked the same to them.  My first joke of the week, Thanks for ruining it. 😁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

Here in the East of Scotland in various towns   the beggars are picked up around 5pm in 5 series BMWs.

Same here in the West of Scotland. Going through Glasgow is a minefield of avoiding Romanian beggars! 

They then all get picked up and go back to Govanhill. 

Roma begging gangs are endemic in the UK and across Europe. Thier operations are typically dependant on unpleasant modern slavery practices. It is positively wicked to give them any money as that is what drives their whole business. Hopefully the police have made arrests and will be able to secure convictions, in order to show that the IoM will not tolerate such slavery.

Some context:

https://www.compassionatecommunitieslondon.org.uk/conversations/look-out-for-forced-begging-on-the-streets-of-london-this-christmas

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/londons-romanian-begging-gang-exposed-26640731

• Like 2