Beggars in Strand Street

Manx Bean

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Embittered about what? I think the post Brexit and post covid malaise is brilliant. I’ve got a load of savings I’m now getting a decent return on and no debt and I’ve bought up quite a few volatile stock market assets on the cheap. I’m just waiting for  interest rates to go up further and for housing to collapse and I’ll have a bit more of that too. 

It’s back to the 1980s! That’s what you and Farage etc wanted wasn’t it? I just don’t like the insular attitude to other people. 

I don't have an insular attitude to people in general. Only to alien criminal elements. We have enough of our own without welcoming them from all over the world. Anyone coming to embrace our society and make a positive contribution, step right in!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's one meaning. Words have more than one meaning. Who knew?

As for the B word. It's only been mentioned by John Wright in a silly aside aimed at me, and not at all by anyone else. I appreciate that some embittered people see everything though that lens alone.

Fuck me you're on form today woollster...👍

• Haha 1

Any body sitting in Strand Street asking passer bye's for money is soon going to realise it is not a very good move. Did they not notice the complete lack of other beggars on the street, did they not also not think fuck me we stick out like a sore thumb. It ain't going to work otherwise we would have our own local beggars and then we,ed be in the turf war zone. But god loves a trier, the Isle Of Man dont ask any local.

5 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Really?  Interesting.  I've often wondered why the Roma seemed so segregated from the 'rest' of the European population.  I'll look into that further.

In my learnings about the Romani people today, I discovered that some of them regard Hedgehog as a delicacy. 

In the interests of cultural understanding and building diversity bridges on the Isle, could someone let me know where the beggars are tomorrow and I will endeavor to source a Hedgehog tonight to present to them as a welcome gift.   They come with free toothpicks too! 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

In my learnings about the Romani people today, I discovered that some of them regard Hedgehog as a delicacy. 

In the interests of cultural understanding and building diversity bridges on the Isle, could someone let me know where the beggars are tomorrow and I will endeavor to source a Hedgehog tonight to present to them as a welcome gift.   They come with free toothpicks too! 

You coat in clay and bake in the embers. Once cooked you split the clay ball, skin and spines come off. It tastes like chicken. Appleby Horse Fair about 1962.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wonder how they got here? 

Possibly gives them a chance to break away from the gang leaders?   They were in the UK illegally, so.possibly smuggled in?

Let's hope they are dealt with in a way which makes sure they don't end up back with the gang. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You coat in clay and bake in the embers. Once cooked you split the clay ball, skin and spines come off. It tastes like chicken. Appleby Horse Fair about 1962.

Everything unusual tastes like chicken, 'tis the law.