Please Please Please lobby your MHK for Change

Weliveinhope

Hopefully I dont get too much grief or trolling for asking for this, but I would be surprised if a large percentage of the population hadnt finally reached the end of their tether with how government 'works' on the island. I urge everybody to contact their MHK to force change in the way our government behaves, to put their house in order and look after the interests of those they elect rather than themselves.

Whilst we dont know the other side to the PM story as yet, is it right that our taxes are used to pay solicitors to threaten free speach on the Island? With government finances seemingly in a precarious position we are throwing money at the legal professions to bully and intimidate people with stories to tell. Would that money not be better spent on our ayling health service? This and the million other fuck ups will only serve to damage the island beyond repair, and we can surely wave goodbye to the relatively nice lifestyle weve enjoyed on this lovely island.

I've personally contacted a number of MHK's and I'm mildly optimistic, from some of the replies that I've recieved, that drastic change can happen, but it needs momentum, and it needs the people of the island to start asking questions of those we elect.

The Island needs you!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good luck with this.

I fear that you'll find that our elected carry little weight or influence other than what is paid lip service to. Your concerns involve the "gatekeepers" of this Island, as is increasingly coming to light, and they have little intention of answering to any democratic principles.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Good luck with this.

I fear that you'll find that our elected carry little weight or influence other than what is paid lip service to. Your concerns involve the "gatekeepers" of this Island, as is increasingly coming to light, and they have little intention of answering to any democratic principles.

I totally understand, but if you dont at least try how can you expect anything to happen?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Good luck with this.

I agree a lot of the current lot are comprised of some of the worst MHKs we’ve seen in living memory. A complete waste of space in a lot of cases. You can’t even follow politics in the IOM at the moment as literally nothing is happening. It’s just total institutional paralysis and the handful of good MHKs we have seem to have totally given up trying to swim against the tide. I don’t actually blame them either as “the blob” is simply so out of control now that it can’t be brought back under control by a handful of well meaning or competent MHKs. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

Hopefully I dont get too much grief or trolling for asking for this, but I would be surprised if a large percentage of the population hadnt finally reached the end of their tether with how government 'works' on the island. I urge everybody to contact their MHK to force change in the way our government behaves, to put their house in order and look after the interests of those they elect rather than themselves.

Whilst we dont know the other side to the PM story as yet, is it right that our taxes are used to pay solicitors to threaten free speach on the Island? With government finances seemingly in a precarious position we are throwing money at the legal professions to bully and intimidate people with stories to tell. Would that money not be better spent on our ayling health service? This and the million other fuck ups will only serve to damage the island beyond repair, and we can surely wave goodbye to the relatively nice lifestyle weve enjoyed on this lovely island.

I've personally contacted a number of MHK's and I'm mildly optimistic, from some of the replies that I've recieved, that drastic change can happen, but it needs momentum, and it needs the people of the island to start asking questions of those we elect.

The Island needs you!

Great post. I have tried to speak to MHKs etc previously. Most can’t be bothered to engage, reply or pick up the phone. Full marks to @Stu Peters he gets back to you when he is busy, and he at least has a few minutes for you. I had cause to contact Tim Crookall over something, he listened and got something done regarding a MUA matter. Others I’m afraid are a waste of space, Alf was a first class talker now he is a first class bullshitter who can’t lead from the front. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I have the choice of Allinson and Hooper.

One of those is a definite no-hooper (sic), and I recall that when Quayle was revealed to have taken £57,000 in covid free-money, Allinson made a statement in support of Quayle.

I have the same issue, so wrote to others!

• Haha 1

Well, I've got @Stu Peters who I'm fairly certain is at least listening to the issues and I appreciate him being on here and responding (despite all the goading), keep it up Stu.  And JPW - any idea what she's up to?   I know she's Minister of Home Affairs but not heard much from her.  Is that a good thing?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Weliveinhope said:

The Island needs you!

It seems to me we always reach this stage of 'the worse government ever'.

What sort of 'drastic change' are you looking for?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It seems to me we always reach this stage of 'the worse government ever'.

What sort of 'drastic change' are you looking for?

Well isnt it? 

I'd like them to to work in the best interests of the island and its population - what they should be doing, but are clearly failing at. It's probably not even drastic in the context of the purpose of governments, but we seem to have moved so far away from public service it probably is now drastic.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

but we seem to have moved so far away from public service it probably is now drastic.

And who have we really got at this drastic time? One of my MHKs is only of use if you need them to help you get a new kitchen in your Corpy house or sort out a parking permit that you’re having trouble getting from the DOI. Outside of that totally f**king useless in every way and unlikely to even grasp the scale of this drastic situation. And to be fair as a benchmark even classic granny farmer Callister has come out fighting in the last few months as even he seems to get it now. And that’s only because he’s basically been publicly humiliated by COMIN and can now claim to be a victim. Across the board outside of a handful of good robust people we’ve got people who basically aren’t up to the job and who know they won’t get a £70K a year job anywhere else so they won’t be rocking any boats. 

35 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I have the choice of Allinson and Hooper.

One of those is a definite no-hooper (sic), and I recall that when Quayle was revealed to have taken £57,000 in covid free-money, Allinson made a statement in support of Quayle.

Ditto. This subject comes up during the course of every administration and leaving out the quality of the individuals in this particular one, what changes?

We get endless promises on the doorstep at election time then it's down to business as usual, our elected may be effective (some more than others) at addressing the parish pump constituency matters but in matters of a national nature we continue the slide and the running up of huge public debt which then gets unloaded onto the, er, public.

Our PS hierarchy has become an all consuming tumour on the Island, only recently AC made statement to the effect that it was too powerful yet that power appears to have also become unassailable to the democratic process. Asking our democratically elected then to address the situation is something of a null point IMHO.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Good luck with this.

Until the Island really hits the buffers and those 'gatekeepers' start to feel the squeeze, nothing will change. All the right people are well looked after and that's why there's never any real pressure for change. Certainly not in the open anyway. It's all done behind the curtain and the people don't even get a look in. Too many of you on here still seem to think that Tynwald is the seat of power and decision making. It isn't.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm Douglas East and can't complain about our representation. 

1 hour ago, Weliveinhope said:

Whilst we dont know the other side to the PM story as yet, is it right that our taxes are used to pay solicitors to threaten free speach on the Island? With government finances seemingly in a precarious position we are throwing money at the legal professions to bully and intimidate people with stories to tell. 

Ultimately the Island is run by advocates and by association, the courts. They are accountable to no one, only to themselves. The big boys know how to fuck you and fuck you hard when they feel threatened. The woes and joys of living on a 'self-governing' Island.

46 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

And JPW - any idea what she's up to?   I know she's Minister of Home Affairs but not heard much from her.  Is that a good thing?

JPW is a solicitor, with husband deep rooted in Cains advocates. Don't expect too much there that's going to be for the benefit of the great unwashed.

The other JPW has been, and is potentially an excellent MHK but rendered to an extent impotent due to his desire to dress up in fancy clothes to be Speaker.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 3