Please Please Please lobby your MHK for Change

Weliveinhope

5 minutes ago, newaccount said:

are you alright hun. do you need a hug?

you sound quite bitter. 

but at least thats a cheap drink

I’m not bitter at all.

I am just explaining to Manxman1980 why the younger generation are not so ( relative to the older generation )worse off. 

I am sure that I am better off in many ways than my forebears and that the children of this younger generation will be better off than their parents. That’s how these things normally work

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

When I was a kid very few people owned their own home. They couldn't afford it. Home ownership only exploded in the '80s with the new mortgage market available to all. Before that the banks wouldn't touch you. Most lived in social housing, rented, or in tied properties. The household budget was to get you through the week and nobody had any savings. There were no luxuries. Only the relatively wealthy owned their own homes.

Manxman1980 has been misinformed.

I'm afraid the one who is misinformed is you.  Unless you were born in about 1900, in which case congratulations on being the oldest person alive.

Here's a graph showing housing tenure over the last century:

image.png.c73d0de49f6bb5daf93c5787a3ba3df0.png

You'll see that UK homeownership was already at over 20% in 1920, rose to 30% and then stayed there till 1955, when the big growth began by 1980 it was already over 50%.  There was a boost from council house sales in the 80s., but that fast growth really stopped around 1990 and home ownership has been falling since the early 2000s.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'll add to that: Old housing stock, damp and draughty and freezing in winter. No central heating; no double-glazing; no computers; no washing machines/dishwashers/tumble dryers/electric showers/microwaves/mobile phones etc. One fireplace in the living room. Rented T.V. if you had one at all. Beans on toast for a main meal. One car if you could afford it (Most couldn't); One week's holiday in the U.K. if you could afford it; etc. I could go on.

'And you try telling that to the kids of today...'

First house I owned in 1978 was a former miner’s cottage in the suburbs of Manchester I’d been renting for a fiver a week and then bought for £5k. Outside loo, no central heating, no hot water (except a gas water heater above the kitchen sink which sent a fireball up to the polystyrene- tiled ceiling when it eventually ignited). So damp it was full of wood lice. Got an improvement grant and sold it three years later for a good profit. As you say, rented 14” TV from Telefusion, cheap furniture from Habitat. But it were ‘ome and we loved it!

• Like 4

Luxury!

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

First house I owned in 1978 was a former miner’s cottage in the suburbs of Manchester I’d been renting for a fiver a week and then bought for £5k. Outside loo, no central heating, no hot water (except a gas water heater above the kitchen sink which sent a fireball up to the polystyrene- tiled ceiling when it eventually ignited). So damp it was full of wood lice. Got an improvement grant and sold it three years later for a good profit. As you say, rented 14” TV from Telefusion, cheap furniture from Habitat. But it were ‘ome and we loved it!

Luxury.

• Haha 4

I am a so called Boomer and in the late 80s/ early 90s took out mortgages that had 15-18% interest rates.

I also know that the loans I took at that time were for a very small amount in comparison to my income at the time.

£45K loan with an income of £20K in the late 80s/ early 90s and that loan got me a 3 bed old cottage do-err-upper.

Now you need £200k for a ready built first time buyer house and even at 3% it is a lot harder to do that than it was in my day

There is no room to add value by hard work anymore on the house.

VOR needs to think a bit, I was of the same opinion as him until I looked at the full picture of millennials and younger trying to buy a house.

I did not have a mobile, or a widescreen TV or a Netflix subscription in the 80/90s but I did go out most nights of the week  to clubs and did have a serious motocross bike habit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Maybe the question should be, why do the MHK’s vote in such useless ones. 

You can’t tell me that someone (anyone) wouldn’t have been better than Quayle? 

And why the extreme right wing ineffectual Cannan? 

Surely out of all the choice they had there could have been better. 

Do they vote these ineffectual in on purpose? And if so, why? 

The "system" for want of a better word is based on the patronage of the CM.

As the majority of the MHK's are in it for themselves then inevitably they will vote for a compromise candidate who they think gives them the best chance of a portfolio...

The very last thing they want is a charismatic leader with a clear vision of what's required who makes things happen, gets things done and doesn't suffer fools along the way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

I am a so called Boomer and in the late 80s/ early 90s took out mortgages that had 15-18% interest rates.

I also know that the loans I took at that time were for a very small amount in comparison to my income at the time.

£45K loan with an income of £20K in the late 80s/ early 90s and that loan got me a 3 bed old cottage do-err-upper.

Now you need £200k for a ready built first time buyer house and even at 3% it is a lot harder to do that than it was in my day

There is no room to add value by hard work anymore on the house.

VOR needs to think a bit, I was of the same opinion as him until I looked at the full picture of millennials and younger trying to buy a house.

I did not have a mobile, or a widescreen TV or a Netflix subscription in the 80/90s but I did go out most nights of the week  to clubs and did have a serious motocross bike habit.

I’m not sure I need to think a bit.

Between my then wife and myself, as previously disclosed we had a joint income of c£10 k and bought or first house with a loan of £31 5k ( being cost of £35k less 10% deposit), a multiple of 3.15 times our income.

You had a loan of loan of £45k with an income of £20k  a multiple of 2.25 your income.

Do the maths ( or math). A couple on say a joint income,  both on the minimum wage now of £19,000 will have a joint salary of £38,000. Lenders now will normally go up to 4.5 times salary which equates to £171,000.

A quick cursory search on the Crowley Groves website shows more than a few properties below this figure. OK that’s not going to buy you a mansion. But if you are first time buyers and assuming both are on the minimum wage you can get on the property ladder, on which you can move up as your salary increases.

Yes you will be squeezed for the first few years due to the currently high interest rates and you may have to replace your smart phones every three years rather than every year. It’s a question of priorities. My wife and myself had to cut back on other spending ( like your clubbing)

I am aware it’s not easy. But it wasn’t easy in my day and way before that.

• Like 3