Please Please Please lobby your MHK for Change

Weliveinhope

I absolutely understand the apathy, but do we know nothing will change if the natives really start to become restless? This is how theyve managed to become the people they have, because nobody has made them accountable.

But if its too much of an effort to highlight your discontent (as a starting point) then nothng will ever change, and you become part of the problem.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Until the Island really hits the buffers and those 'gatekeepers' start to feel the squeeze, nothing will change. All the right people are well looked after and that's why there's never any real pressure for change.

Those gatekeepers will never feel the squeeze, they are too remote and have engineered too much insulation, not only for themselves but also for those beneath them. By that I mean that even in the event of being exposed as responsible for hugely embarrassing and expensive debacles (for the taxpayers) their benefits remain intact with huge payoffs and no sanctions can be applied other than waving them off into the sunset. How many times have we seen it?

I believe that it will continue this way until the taxpayers are financially on their knees and the public coffers are in such a state that there will have to be external intervention.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Barlow said:

JPW is a solicitor, with husband deep rooted in Cains advocates. Don't expect too much there that's going to be for the benefit of the great unwashed.

The other JPW has been, and is potentially an excellent MHK but rendered to an extent impotent due to his desire to dress up in fancy clothes to be Speaker.

Well I know the Home Affairs minister is responsible for the Police, who just got a payrise, so I suppose that's good. Also legislation - this will be the interesting bit, with the Crogga/DOI shambles blaming an absence of legislation.  Although admittedly this might be something that they just haven't been instructed to do by the DOI. 

The other JPW just likes playing dress up at any opportunity. 

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Well, I've got @Stu Peters who I'm fairly certain is at least listening to the issues and I appreciate him being on here and responding (despite all the goading), keep it up Stu.  And JPW - any idea what she's up to?   I know she's Minister of Home Affairs but not heard much from her.  Is that a good thing?

If we're playing trump cards, we have Callister and Edge.  One slightly better than the other. I'll leave the decision making to you lot...

Good times for a change
See, the luck I've had
Can make a good man
Turn bad
So please, please, please
Lobby, lobby, lobby
Lobby you MHK 
For change

Haven't had a dream in a long time
See, the life I've had
Can make a good man bad
So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Well I know the Home Affairs minister is responsible for the Police, who just got a payrise, so I suppose that's good. Also legislation - this will be the interesting bit, with the Crogga/DOI shambles blaming an absence of legislation.  Although admittedly this might be something that they just haven't been instructed to do by the DOI. 

The other JPW just likes playing dress up at any opportunity. 

The fancy dress positions should have a maximum time limit e.g.two terms. 

4 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

And who have we really got at this drastic time? One of my MHKs is only of use if you need them to help you get a new kitchen in your Corpy house or sort out a parking permit that you’re having trouble getting from the DOI. Outside of that totally f**king useless in every way and unlikely to even grasp the scale of this drastic situation. And to be fair as a benchmark even classic granny farmer Callister has come out fighting in the last few months as even he seems to get it now. And that’s only because he’s basically been publicly humiliated by COMIN and can now claim to be a victim. Across the board outside of a handful of good robust people we’ve got people who basically aren’t up to the job and who know they won’t get a £70K a year job anywhere else so they won’t be rocking any boats. 

You miss the point. CoMin can’t fire you, only the public can do that in 2026. So rocking boats to public acclaim is EXACTLY what some will be doing to ensure re-election.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Let's be brutally honest there are some hard unpopular decisions that need to be made and MHKS don't really want to speak up in fear of losing votes at the next election. 

It was ever thus thommo. That’s why system reform should be at the top of the list. However, our government are too busy fire fighting and ass covering their own errors to be able to give time and effort to reform. 

34 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

You miss the point. CoMin can’t fire you, only the public can do that in 2026. So rocking boats to public acclaim is EXACTLY what some will be doing to ensure re-election.

I’m not sure I am missing the point because nothing tangibly seems to be happening. It’s not even worth following local politics at the moment as literally nothing is happening. We go £50M over at least on Liverpool .. oh well nobody says anything. Not even you. The airport isn’t functioning businesses are concerned about the IOMs reputation .. oh well who cares nobody really says anything. A survey says that 93% of the population have absolutely no faith in IOM Governments strategy .. oh well who gives a shit nothing said. Manx Care can’t cope .. oh well who gives a toss. Then Moorhouse asks a question about how many bottles of water were sold at schools last TT Week. It’s an unbelievably embarrassing shit-show. It’s not like we don’t have some decent MHKs (I wouldn’t exclude you from that category either) but honestly what the f**k are any of them actually doing about anything? It speaks volumes that one of the main voices of decent currently calling for change is Callister - a complete whopper of a granny farmer who would be out of his depth in a puddle. But at least to be fair is voicing some descent and calling for change in the way things are being run when you don’t hear a peep out of anyone else. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not sure I am missing the point because nothing tangibly seems to be happening.

Then Moorhouse asks a question about how many bottles of water were sold at schools last TT Week. It’s an unbelievably embarrassing shit-show. 

I'm glad someone else takes a look at the important matters discussed in Tynwald and also thinks, 'what the fuck'.  It usually seems to be Moorhouse that derails any semblance of relevance or importance with bafflingly pointless requests.  One standout from earlier this year, was 'How many people use the public toilets in Castletown?'!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

I'm glad someone else takes a look at the important matters discussed in Tynwald and also thinks, 'what the fuck'.  It usually seems to be Moorhouse that derails any semblance of relevance or importance with bafflingly pointless requests.  One standout from earlier this year, was 'How many people use the public toilets in Castletown?'!

That was relevant because DOI suddenly announced they were no longer going to maintain the public toilets in the harbour area.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

It was up there with 'how do train whistles work?'

• Haha 2