Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

5 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

Whenever there is discussion about constructing fixed wind turbines which are hundreds of feet high I wonder whether it would be feasible to force wind through a form of wind tunnel, starting with a wide opening which narrows along its length, the way you would do with water flows to produce hydro-electric. A tunnel driven through a hillside using modern plant equipment could be easier to build, less obtrusive and last longer. Maybe a mad idea, 

Certainly a mad-genius idea.  I like the logic though.  However, we really don't want to go anywhere near anything new or groundbreaking; well tried and tested technology will hopefully limit the fuck-ups too much. 

21 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

Whenever there is discussion about constructing fixed wind turbines which are hundreds of feet high I wonder whether it would be feasible to force wind through a form of wind tunnel, starting with a wide opening which narrows along its length, the way you would do with water flows to produce hydro-electric. A tunnel driven through a hillside using modern plant equipment could be easier to build, less obtrusive and last longer. Maybe a mad idea, but government seems fixated on wind turbines and nothing else has a look in.

Its not a great idea I am afraid. The key is your use of the word force. If you try to funnel wind down a tube  all that will happen is that a back pressure will develop. This is due to the restriction caused by the friction of the sides and also the back pressure caused by the turbine blades. This will discourage more air entering the tunnel and provide a restriction. Air will then basically just go around your tunnel as wind is air that is moving from a high pressure to a lower pressure. Also tunnels are really expensive to construct compared to just sticking a fan on a big stick.

Freestanding wind turbines are very efficient at turning wind into power

I like your thinking though

1 minute ago, Manx Resident said:

So we can put “wind tunnels” to bed as a non-starter. If only government would provide us with an explanation of why geo-thermal is a non-starter.

Yes we can but that idea to bed. I forgot to add that wind turbines work whatever direction the wind is coming from, a tunnel would not

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes we can but that idea to bed. I forgot to add that wind turbines work whatever direction the wind is coming from, a tunnel would not

I'm afraid geothermal,  it's a non starter. A simple Google search will give you why. 

There are 2 ways of getting this energy. The simplest it to drill a hole in the ground to where the rock is hot, pump water down and get hot water out. Use this hot water to heat a house and get hot water. 

However generating electricity is more complex. You need steam to drive steam turbines. That's complex and would require expensive deep boring on a massive scale as well as 100 MW of steam turbines. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manx Resident said:

Whenever there is discussion about constructing fixed wind turbines which are hundreds of feet high I wonder whether it would be feasible to force wind through a form of wind tunnel, starting with a wide opening which narrows along its length, the way you would do with water flows to produce hydro-electric. A tunnel driven through a hillside using modern plant equipment could be easier to build, less obtrusive and last longer. Maybe a mad idea, but government seems fixated on wind turbines and nothing else has a look in.

fantastic idea, i  like the idea of mounting the whole mountain/hillside on a turntable so it can always face into wind ......

stupid bloody muppet.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, WTF said:

fantastic idea, i  like the idea of mounting the whole mountain/hillside on a turntable so it can always face into wind ......

stupid bloody muppet.

WTF, I have knowingly written a couple of bonkers posts today which show as much rationality as our political elite are showing in providing the good governance we were promised by the Chief Minister some months ago.

Instead of recognizing a harmless bit of mischievous nonsense, which is similarly dotted throughout various other threads on this forum, you can’t help yourself but make personal comment. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont think anyone has factored in the huge logistical cost of getting these things  here , building a suitable landing port  preparing the infrastructure roads access ,  foundations , then the cost of erection , connecting them to the grid , do we underground , or are the planners happy with Pylons carrying the significant  cables all the way to Douglas 

can somebody please provide answers , if they have any , and as well as this we need a really reliable back up    I don't hear much coming from the MUA or Daffy  

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Because we don't have volcanoes.

Actually, the whole area was volcanic millions of years ago. Geothermal would definitely work. However, it would be relatively easy and inexpensive, so the government will not go for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manx Resident said:

WTF, I have knowingly written a couple of bonkers posts today which show as much rationality as our political elite are showing in providing the good governance we were promised by the Chief Minister some months ago.

Instead of recognizing a harmless bit of mischievous nonsense, which is similarly dotted throughout various other threads on this forum, you can’t help yourself but make personal comment. Sad.

sorry, i thought you worked at DFE and meant it

• Haha 1

I think a while back in Australia they were experimenting with a vertical tube, like an old chimney stack, with a turbine inside which turned because hot air rises.

Dunno whether anything came of it but it's sort of a vertical tunnel in the sky? Maybe.