Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Actually, the whole area was volcanic millions of years ago. Geothermal would definitely work. However, it would be relatively easy and inexpensive, so the government will not go for it. 

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/60100bdc6bd4ef04d018437a/t/6291182a48bd386a2ef7ae43/1653676077737/Interview+on+geothermal+energy+potential+of+IoM+(dgq)+28+Apr+22.pdf

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Thanks for that.  I couldn't be arsed responding with some genuine geological facts last night.

Someone just needs to suggest tidal/wave generation now, so we can explain (again) why this is also bollocks.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Yes we can but that idea to bed. I forgot to add that wind turbines work whatever direction the wind is coming from, a tunnel would not

But...... we could build a really big electric fan in front of the tunnel, to blow air through when it's not windy?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Thanks for that.  I couldn't be arsed responding with some genuine geological facts last night.

Someone just needs to suggest tidal/wave generation now, so we can explain (again) why this is also bollocks.

Don't forget the water turbines as well😆

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Don't forget the water turbines as well😆

They could sort of work, but are more for energy storage rather than generation.  We have a lot of hills/valleys and water.

31 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

They could sort of work, but are more for energy storage rather than generation.  We have a lot of hills/valleys and water.

The biggest source of water is Sulby and that generates less than a MW for only part of the year. There are other sites but to be honest its always going to be small fry. We don't have that much water or vertical height. Our Rivers are streams really

22 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Thank you for the link, which also proves ground source heat pumps don’t work. 

No it doesn't that's something different.  As Wiki helpfully states:

There is what may be mistakenly known as geothermal energy at shallow depths but it is technically solar energy; the upper 10 to 15 m (33 to 49 ft) of ground is heated by solar radiation and not (except in rare exceptions) geothermal energy.

This acts a heat store and can be exploited in a number of different ways. This heat can be utilised by ground source heat pumps that can substantially reduce heating bills and reduce the associated carbon footprint. The heat from the sun is conducted downwards into the ground. At a depth of about 15 m, ground temperatures are not influenced by seasonal air temperature changes and tend to remain stable all year around at about the mean annual air temperature (9 to 13 °C (48 to 55 °F) in the UK). Hence, the ground at this depth is cooler than the air in summer and warmer than the air in winter. This temperature difference is exploited by ground source heat pumps that are used for heating and/or cooling of homes and office buildings.

Like most such technologies it has its part to play in the right place and under the right conditions.  Apart from odd exceptions the British Isles isn't right for 'proper' geothermal - which tends to be best suited for areas of geological activity such as California.

Mind you Dave Quirk's wrong when he says you "would not choose to generate power from wind in the Sahara".  That's exact what some people plan to do.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link

Excellent link, Roger Mexico! 

To summerise, if you spend many thousands of pounds on excavation and installation of a ground source heat pump, the resultant water to heat your house is basically the temperature of cold tap water.

I wonder if one could just……..  Never mind! 

21 minutes ago, Cambon said:

To summerise, if you spend many thousands of pounds on excavation and installation of a ground source heat pump, the resultant water to heat your house is basically the temperature of cold tap water.

When did ground source heat pumps come into the discussion. Who is advocating them. What have they got to do with wind farms anyway. 

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Well what you could have done is click through to the link in the Wiki and discover how ground source heat pumps actually work.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well what you could have done is click through to the link in the Wiki and discover how ground source heat pumps actually work.

I know how it works, hence my original statement. If geothermal is not possibly, heat pumps will not work either. 
What really annoys me is that so many people fall for this stuff. We don’t even live in a cold country. Just dress appropriately and you will not be cold!