Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

Alastair Ramsey has a good piece in IOM Today pointing out how huge wind turbines are - the size of Blackpool Tower and is that a bit out of kilter for the IOM.  If he's right - then yes.  

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/environment/alistair-ramsay-the-key-questions-about-wind-turbines-631095

I just don't understand the rush.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptarmigan said:

Alastair Ramsey has a good piece in IOM Today pointing out how huge wind turbines are - the size of Blackpool Tower and is that a bit out of kilter for the IOM.  If he's right - then yes.  

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/environment/alistair-ramsay-the-key-questions-about-wind-turbines-631095

I just don't understand the rush.   

Well according to Blackpool Tower's own siteThe Tower is 518 feet and 9 inches tall.

Meanwhile from earlier this year:

Construction on the largest wind turbine in England is set to begin next month. 

The turbine will be located in Bristol and will reach 150 meters (approximately 492 feet) into the sky, Weather & Radar reported. That’s double the height of the average English turbine, which comes to about 75 meters (approximately 246 feet).

I suspect that Mr Ramsay is either confusing onshore with offshore (which tend to be higher) or metres with feet.  It's a wonder he hasn't been given an engineering job with the DoI.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well according to Blackpool Tower's own siteThe Tower is 518 feet and 9 inches tall.

Meanwhile from earlier this year:

Construction on the largest wind turbine in England is set to begin next month. 

The turbine will be located in Bristol and will reach 150 meters (approximately 492 feet) into the sky, Weather & Radar reported. That’s double the height of the average English turbine, which comes to about 75 meters (approximately 246 feet).

I suspect that Mr Ramsay is either confusing onshore with offshore (which tend to be higher) or metres with feet.  It's a wonder he hasn't been given an engineering job with the DoI.

You’re forgetting to add on the length of the blades above the turbine. He’s not a huge way out. Say the blades are 50 meters,  then ground to tip of vertical blade is at least 125 meters. 

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

I know how it works, hence my original statement. If geothermal is not possibly, heat pumps will not work either. 
What really annoys me is that so many people fall for this stuff. We don’t even live in a cold country. Just dress appropriately and you will not be cold! 

I am not a fan of heat pumps being retro fitted - They will not work in normal, run of the mill houses, without super insulation.

But that statement you made is so far wrong you need to spend a few minutes reading up about them.

They don't need red hot heating from the air or ground, they take any kind of "heat" and boost it in a similar way that a fridge takes air and cools it.

They use electricity to do this boosting, and it may be 3 times more efficient than solid fuel boilers but it also uses 3 times as much electricity to do this, without the carbon emissions if the electricity used is green.

This is why this new "Law" on the island makes no sense.

You have a Gas fuelled power station - ground/ air source heat pumps will not cut carbon emissions until your island is covered in turbines and/ or solar............

The heat pumps need green electric to make them worth having for the planet.

Without green electric generation it is nothing more than a cock/ fanny waving exercise in pointless expenditure

The only country I have visited in recent years is Tenerife. An island, and windy. There are wind turbines there, but they are all located in one relatively small area - in an area, one might say, that is less than attractive anyway. The rest of the island is untouched by them.

I think the Isle of Man could follow the same strategy. Install the wind turbines in Douglas and leave the rest of the island as is.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’re forgetting to add on the length of the blades above the turbine. He’s not a huge way out. Say the blades are 50 meters,  then ground to tip of vertical blade is at least 125 meters. 

I think those figures include blade height.  Certainly the Bristol one, tallest in England, is quoted as being  "150 metres tall from its base to the tip of its blade", still lower than Blackpool Tower.

It does seem to be a bit mental that we're hurtling into this un-costed scheme at such a rapid rate of knots. 

It's a fair point that the island has a limited land mass, but it does have a massive area of sea. So what are the pros and cons of offshore wind farms against what the MUA have outlined? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 0bserver said:

It does seem to be a bit mental that we're hurtling into this un-costed scheme at such a rapid rate of knots. 

It's a fair point that the island has a limited land mass, but it does have a massive area of sea. So what are the pros and cons of offshore wind farms against what the MUA have outlined? 

the working environment of salt and water is the downside of offshore turbines, 

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

the working environment of salt and water is the downside of offshore turbines, 

Is that a major issue over the lifetime of these things? Someone seems to have planted loads of them between us and Heysham/Liverpool so I thought they seemed suited. 

Some one thinks it would be more cost to put them offshore.

Cost since when did the government let cost get in the way of a pipe dream.

If we want(need) green electric put another interconector  in place and access it that way. Very little in the way of service, no fuel cost/infrastructure to maintain. Huge lumps of back ups sitting around.

With my cynical hat on just another desperate attempt by Cannan to grow population with engineers to keep all this shite running and let's not forget another management team.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

I am not a fan of heat pumps being retro fitted - They will not work in normal, run of the mill houses, without super insulation.

But that statement you made is so far wrong you need to spend a few minutes reading up about them.

They don't need red hot heating from the air or ground, they take any kind of "heat" and boost it in a similar way that a fridge takes air and cools it.

They use electricity to do this boosting, and it may be 3 times more efficient than solid fuel boilers but it also uses 3 times as much electricity to do this, without the carbon emissions if the electricity used is green.

This is why this new "Law" on the island makes no sense.

You have a Gas fuelled power station - ground/ air source heat pumps will not cut carbon emissions until your island is covered in turbines and/ or solar............

The heat pumps need green electric to make them worth having for the planet.

Without green electric generation it is nothing more than a cock/ fanny waving exercise in pointless expenditure

Not really sure the point you are making, you seem to be tying yourself in knots. 

1. You say heat pumps are 3 times more efficient than solid fuel boilers but use 3 times as much electricity. That does make sense

2. You say without green generation its a cock waving exercise on a thread about wind energy generation. 

You leave us wondering which side if the fence you are on, if any.

1 minute ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Some one thinks it would be more cost to put them offshore.

Cost since when did the government let cost get in the way of a pipe dream.

If we want(need) green electric put another interconector  in place and access it that way. Very little in the way of service, no fuel cost/infrastructure to maintain. Huge lumps of back ups sitting around.

With my cynical hat on just another desperate attempt by Cannan to grow population with engineers to keep all this shite running and let's not forget another management team.

Have you not been keeping up. A new interconnector is planned. 

14 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The only country I have visited in recent years is Tenerife. An island, and windy. There are wind turbines there, but they are all located in one relatively small area - in an area, one might say, that is less than attractive anyway. The rest of the island is untouched by them.

I think the Isle of Man could follow the same strategy. Install the wind turbines in Douglas and leave the rest of the island as is.

Tenerife is not a country is it.

They exploit wind to a massive degree. 170MW. The farms are in the windiest spot. They are planning more.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421522000167