Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

12 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Tenerife is not a country is it.

They exploit wind to a massive degree. 170MW. The farms are in the windiest spot. They are planning more.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421522000167

Do they have any geothermal on Tenerife? I remember it being super volcanic so I would guess geothermal would work there?

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Do they have any geothermal on Tenerife? I remember it being super volcanic so I would guess geothermal would work there?

Seems not. 

https://www.thinkgeoenergy.com/thinkgeoenergys-top-10-geothermal-countries-2022-power-generation-capacity-mw/amp/

Edited by Happier diner

On 8/12/2023 at 8:55 AM, Happier diner said:

Have you not been keeping up. A new interconnector is planned. 

And that is pretty much all that we need. Keep gas as a backup and buy in uk green energy. We have already paid towards the UKs green ambition in currency devaluations to back grants , etc. Why should we pay twice? Sure, put up some solar. Maybe a couple of windmills (preferably at the airport, which is already a secure area, flat and windy). Maybe encourage individuals to infest in solar heating, which is fairly cheap and easy to install. But, spending mega millions is not affordable and not required. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cambon said:

And that is pretty much all that we need. Keep gas as a backup and buy in uk green energy. We have already paid towards the UKs green ambition in currency devaluations to back grants , etc. Why should we pay twice? Sure, put up some solar. Maybe a couple of windmills (preferably at the airport, which is already a secure area, flat and windy). Maybe encourage individuals to infest in solar heating, which is fairly cheap and easy to install. But, spending mega millions is not affordable and not required. 

Keeping gas a backup is not a good idea. Gas Turbines need an enormous amount of maintenance and upkeep. It a massive asset to keep for backup. You would need all the staff as well remember.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Keeping gas a backup is not a good idea. Gas Turbines need an enormous amount of maintenance and upkeep. It a massive asset to keep for backup. You would need all the staff as well remember.

Yes, but that is pretty much all we have at the moment. As our reliance on electricity reduces, we can look at scrapping it. However, buying in near net zero electricity is far cheaper than trying to generate it yourself. This is basically what Jersey is doing, and has been for years. 

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Yes, but that is pretty much all we have at the moment. As our reliance on electricity reduces, we can look at scrapping it. However, buying in near net zero electricity is far cheaper than trying to generate it yourself. This is basically what Jersey is doing, and has been for years. 

Then you would need 2 interconnectors though. 

buying in near net zero electricity is far cheaper than trying to generate it yourself. - How do you work that out. A wind turbine here costs the same as France or England. 

Not sure you think your posts through really

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Throw your windy things up keep backup with  Diesels easy to maintain start on a button almost instant power. Plenty of room in the oversized greenhouse, are they still there ? for when the turbines are serviced. Looks like the exhaust are still going up the chimney.

Generating from Diesel is by far the most expensive way and creates all sorts of pollution

Interesting contribution from a Wint guest today who reckoned that there is research to suggest that the blades on wind turbines in a salt-air environment generate a huge amount of airborne microplastics as they deteriorate during their lifespan, maybe 1000kg per turbine, which contaminate both local water and landscape environments.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Interesting contribution from a Wint guest today who reckoned that there is research to suggest that the blades on wind turbines in a salt-air environment generate a huge amount of airborne microplastics as they deteriorate during their lifespan, maybe 1000kg per turbine, which contaminate both local water and landscape environments.

They will come up with some amazing 'facts' in the near future as there's nothing so creative as a NIMBY threatened. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Not having Gas as a back up like every other country in the EU is NOT a good idea , seriously………….😂
😂😂😂😂😂

And you would need staff as well ……,,

You’ve made my day 😂

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Then you would need 2 interconnectors though. 

buying in near net zero electricity is far cheaper than trying to generate it yourself. - How do you work that out. A wind turbine here costs the same as France or England. 

Not sure you think your posts through really

Yes, the cost of the wind turbine is the same, but the cost of the electricity generated reduces over time as the initial cost depreciates. As I said earlier, we have already paid for the UKs wind turbines. Why should we pay again? 
As for the France / Jersey agreement, France generate huge amounts of nuclear power. I believe Jersey has been buying nuclear power from France since the ‘80s.

9 hours ago, Cambon said:

Yes, the cost of the wind turbine is the same, but the cost of the electricity generated reduces over time as the initial cost depreciates. As I said earlier, we have already paid for the UKs wind turbines. Why should we pay again? 
As for the France / Jersey agreement, France generate huge amounts of nuclear power. I believe Jersey has been buying nuclear power from France since the ‘80s.

When did we pay for the UK wind turbines? 

If we took another 40MW of wind generated electricity who do you think would pay for it? 

You think it's ok to employ 100 people to man a power station that is just for back up?

😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

• Like 1