Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

On 7/28/2023 at 4:34 PM, Major Rushen said:

Hello…. £500 per head of population is that a bargain or what. Of course £40million with cost overruns will be R least £100million. Why do we not just buy the electricity from established U.K. based farms.

The concept is "Not to be at the behest of an unstable market" , and the UK energy market is a basket case.

Can we generate it here, yes. Is it cost effective? only if they install it in the Wedding Cake and power it on hot air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-66708859

Tell me again why we need the MUA who have zero experience of solar or windfarms to build a £40m (probably £60m in truth if any recent gov project is a guide) and it's taken them decades to sort out two sewage treatment plants for two villages? 

If we could negotitate an agreement with a large concern to lease the sea bed in exchange for access to the power generated at or below commercial rates?

Leave the MUA to deal with the local infrastucture and eventually get the interconnectors in place so that we only need to generate emergency power on site at critical sites which you must have anyway so it is at no extra cost.

Instead, if the offshore windfarm is viable, they'll probably sell the license for a few sheckles to pay off the MUA loan while pissing more money away on a vanity project (just like the Liverpool ferry terminal) as we watch off shore turbines merrily generating 'free' electricity which we'll have no access to.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, cissolt said:

The courier has an anti wind turbine advert in this week. Hard to figure out what is was actually advertising? And who is paying for it?

Screenshot_2023-09-04-13-26-31-83_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.412dcd212fc640184c56ed1b0e98a455.jpg

It struck me as odd too that there was no attribution to the article/advert. I for one applaud it as a reasoned and reasonable counterpoint to the governments obsession with net zero millstone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-66708859

Tell me again why we need the MUA who have zero experience of solar or windfarms to build a £40m (probably £60m in truth if any recent gov project is a guide) and it's taken them decades to sort out two sewage treatment plants for two villages? 

If we could negotitate an agreement with a large concern to lease the sea bed in exchange for access to the power generated at or below commercial rates?

Leave the MUA to deal with the local infrastucture and eventually get the interconnectors in place so that we only need to generate emergency power on site at critical sites which you must have anyway so it is at no extra cost.

Instead, if the offshore windfarm is viable, they'll probably sell the license for a few sheckles to pay off the MUA loan while pissing more money away on a vanity project (just like the Liverpool ferry terminal) as we watch off shore turbines merrily generating 'free' electricity which we'll have no access to.

Your post on the surface looks ok. However examination shows that it completely misunderstands how things are.

1. No electricity company is experienced with solar and wind. They all use experienced consultants and contractors to do the work. The MUA is no different.

2. Onshore wind generation is much cheaper than offshore. There is easily enough capacity potential for onshore on the Island. No need for offshore. We wouldn't even be able to use it. We would have to much.

3. Any offshore generated in out waters should go the the UK. No point putting in cabling to get it here and then to send it back again. 

4. Any deal to use our seabed will surely be tendered and given to the highest bidder. It's quite an asset and hopefully we can make a few bob. 

• Thanks 2

The bit that frightens me  is point one….They all use experienced consultants and contractors to do the work.    I am sure the consultants and contractors who were used for Douglas Promenade, Liverpool Landing Stage and other memorable ventures were experienced  but things did not go to plan.    You are obviously hell bent on having a wind farm or two on the Island to save the world but are we in a position financially to proceed ,  I feel sure it will be many, many moons before a decision will be forthcoming on where to put them.   Other places  that have gone down this road successfully have much more space available to place them without affecting the inhabitants both human and animal that live in the chosen area.   When in doubt do nowt is an old saying and a wise one.   Virtue signaling is a very expensive pastime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

23 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

The bit that frightens me  is point one….They all use experienced consultants and contractors to do the work.    I am sure the consultants and contractors who were used for Douglas Promenade, Liverpool Landing Stage and other memorable ventures were experienced  but things did not go to plan.    You are obviously hell bent on having a wind farm or two on the Island to save the world but are we in a position financially to proceed ,  I feel sure it will be many, many moons before a decision will be forthcoming on where to put them.   Other places  that have gone down this road successfully have much more space available to place them without affecting the inhabitants both human and animal that live in the chosen area.   When in doubt do nowt is an old saying and a wise one.   Virtue signaling is a very expensive pastime.

Those projects are both DOI

MUA have a good history of delivering capital projects on time and near budget or thereabouts.

You can shout all you want about IRIS but it did get built in time and in the budget allowed.

Apart from the retards in Laxey it will guarantee shit free seas around the rock.

Shit free seas is one of the islands best selling points   ----   don't knock it until you get ill without it.

The rock does not have any better selling points, the scenery is not as good as where I live or plenty others on the mainland.

The Douglas promenade project is a weird one that people keep bringing up, but from what I am told, from a couple of decent peeps, it is not a long way off budget and considering the Covid bit in the middle it should be seen a s a really good capital project.

Just because you don't like how it looks does not make it a failure.

P.S. That pic of the Shetland isles? with 3 big turbines looks really cool to me. Like a Sci-Fi  Pic

It looks like a small community that is prepared to plant a few turbines to keep their landscape without massive global warming and other issues associated with burning carbons.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

MUA have a good history of delivering capital projects on time and near budget or thereabouts.

You can shout all you want about IRIS but it did get built in time and in the budget allowed.

Apart from the retards in Laxey it will guarantee shit free seas around the rock.

Shit free seas is one of the islands best selling points   ----   don't knock it until you get ill without it.

The rock does not have any better selling points, the scenery is not as good as where I live or plenty others on the mainland.

The Douglas promenade project is a weird one that people keep bringing up, but from what I am told, from a couple of decent peeps, it is not a long way off budget and considering the Covid bit in the middle it should be seen a s a really good capital project.

P.S. That pic of the Shetland isles? with 3 big turbines looks really cool to me. Like a Sci-Fi  Pic

It looks like a small community that is prepared to plant a few turbines to keep their landscape without massive global warming and other issues associated with burning carbons.

IRIS was DoT project 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Did you work on iris?  The project was another catastrophe, massively over budget, scoped changed to onchan and Douglas only, consultants messed up the flow rate by 100+%.  And we are still paying for their mistakes, look at the laxey and peel pumping station palava.

From this very forum: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

Did you work on iris?  The project was another catastrophe, massively over budget, scoped changed to onchan and Douglas only, consultants messed up the flow rate by 100+%.  And we are still paying for their mistakes, look at the laxey and peel pumping station palava.

From this very forum: 

WTF was it to do with the MUA though? It wasn't even the water and sewage authority. Like said earlier it was a DOT scheme. Remember them. It's totally irrelevant to this thread. 

The NPM (MR) report that MUA (Consultants) have installed monitoring devices at both locations of the proposed wind farms for 12 months. However, it be as long as 2 years before they have enough data, before deciding whether the proposed locations are suitable.

In that case, if the data decrees that the sites aren’t suitable, are there any other back up sites, and have monitoring equipment been installed?

Its truly amazing that it’s taking this long amount of time tO get information before making a decision, especially both the green lobby, Daffy and IOMG have imposed targets, and are permanently dick waving in their quest to be world beating g and world leading. 

• Like 1