Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

39 minutes ago, Max Power said:

This has all become madness, in my view a decent proposal would be to tag on half a dozen wind generators to an existing proposed wind farm being planned for the Irish Sea, close to our island. Run a cable to the island and job done, no ecological issues!

This is kyboshed by the government's sheepish insistence that we have our own wind generation by 2026!  

It might look on paper as if they're close to Mann but they're not. The nearest, Morgan, is 22km away from our nearest shore. I believe it would require at least one offshore sub-station which would probably end up being another obstacle in the shipping lane and for shipping to negotiate, including our own IOMSPCo.

42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It might look on paper as if they're close to Mann but they're not. The nearest, Morgan, is 22km away from our nearest shore. I believe it would require at least one offshore sub-station which would probably end up being another obstacle in the shipping lane and for shipping to negotiate, including our own IOMSPCo.

I don't know enough about it to argue but if we are considering offshore wind in any case, surely this would be a feasible option? We'd be running cables all over the island in any case, unless we are going to have pylons everywhere?

• Like 1

I cannot see how any decision can be made on covering wind conditions of 12 months , every year is different weather wise.   This is another badly thought out half cock idea which will cost fortunes before it even happens, if it even happens , by a government with no money to fund a decent health service and replace unfit for purpose schools.  Madness.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

If we only require 8 turbines (according to the gospel of Happier Diner) then they should all be in one place and offshore. 

It's going to be a logistical nightmare getting turbines on hillsides that don't have road access (and even if they do they won't be wide enough or strong/sound enough to take the weight).

5 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

To the east and southeast of this Island are veritable forests (navigation hazards) of wind turbines.

Why can 'we' not simply hive off (buy or hire) half a dozen of these and have their output routed to the Island?

Await Miserable Diner, whom I'd like his declaration of vested interest in polluting the Island with these windmills, to come up with a trillion reasons why this couldn't be done.

Like I said a few pages back. Offshore is miles more expensive. To build and maintain. No other reasons are needed..

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

https://maritime-executive.com/article/worlds-first-offshore-wind-farm-dismantled

Watch at about 2:35 or so. They have a life span of about 20 years. Instead of cleaning things up, the IoM gov. would just let them stay there - forever a navigation hazard to ships and basking sharks.

[I recently saw or read a report about offshore wind turbines transmitting sound at a certain frequency into the water. The author of the piece claimed it confused fishes. Maybe so. There must be some sound transmitted, either from resonance from the pylon or with the blades sweeping around. ]

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

https://maritime-executive.com/article/worlds-first-offshore-wind-farm-dismantled

Watch at about 2:35 or so. They have a life span of about 20 years. Instead of cleaning things up, the IoM gov. would just let them stay there - forever a navigation hazard to ships and basking sharks.

[I recently saw or read a report about offshore wind turbines transmitting sound at a certain frequency into the water. The author of the piece claimed it confused fishes. Maybe so. There must be some sound transmitted, either from resonance from the pylon or with the blades sweeping around. ]

Offshore windfarms are a benefit to marine life: https://www.gu.se/en/news/researcher-marine-life-benefits-from-offshore-wind-power

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

This is kyboshed by the government's sheepish insistence that we have our own wind generation by 2026!  

In very much the same thinking we followed in respect of a power station and we all know what happened there...

44 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I suppose one has to look into the background of who directly or indirectly funded this research. But the kind of question that comes to mind is - How did the fish manage to survive before windfarms came along?

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

The plural of fish is fish.

"  The plural of fish is usually fish.
    When referring to more than one species of fish, especially in a scientific context, you can use fishes as the plural.
    The zodiac sign Pisces is also often referred to as fishes."

So me and the Internet is right.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

In very much the same thinking we followed in respect of a power station and we all know what happened there...

The answer is quite simple. If we are to play along with this crap, which will bite everyone in the ass in about 50 years when most people alive now have passed, and the dozey wokes finally realise there is no way of stopping it because it is nature, put the hideous wind turbines on the edge of the airport. 

The area is already secure. It is already owned by the government. It is one of the windiest places on the island. It is not a residential area. There is already a ramp (used when they extended the runway) to get the bits ashore. It is such a fucking  simple thing to understand! What the fuck is wrong with these people! 

• Thanks 1