Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

Have the MUA moved the testing machine? I passed where the device was twice at weekend and it was nowhere to be seen. 

I did wonder if someone had damaged the machine to start with as I thought I saw remnants ( it is possible I haven’t seen properly and I am wrong about this though).  

The machine is not where it was when it was being built a couple of weekends ago. 

On 9/8/2023 at 5:54 PM, Happier diner said:

There are 2 absolute crackers on this forum.

1. Those advocating offshore wind despite it being a no brainedr that its going to be massively more expensive than onshore.

2 a certain  person saying put tje wind turbines around the airport. Now call me old fashioned but would 10 great big electric motors and invertors be a good thing to have around sensitive navigational and communications equipment. 

By the time you have created new roads and strengthened existing ones to take the weight of a tower plus truck/trailer tare (approx 95 ton) where the turbines are proposed to be sited then laid the cables and put in substations along the way it will be the same price as offshore. 

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PeachTea said:

Have the MUA moved the testing machine? I passed where the device was twice at weekend and it was nowhere to be seen. 

I did wonder if someone had damaged the machine to start with as I thought I saw remnants ( it is possible I haven’t seen properly and I am wrong about this though).  

The machine is not where it was when it was being built a couple of weekends ago. 

Sabotaged by a militant nimby. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

By the time you have created new roads and strengthened existing ones to take the weight of a tower plus truck/trailer tare (approx 95 ton) where the turbines are proposed to be sited then laid the cables and put in substations along the way it will be the same price as offshore. 

I doubt that very much. Just laying a subsea cable to them would probably cost 10 times the cost of a few tracks. 

36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I doubt that very much. Just laying a subsea cable to them would probably cost 10 times the cost of a few tracks. 

Indeed, you'd need a boat, a crew, engineers etc who couldn't access them at certain times due to the weather, pay them all to be on standby permanently.  

I suspect it wouldn't be worth it offshore from a logistics and maintenance point of view, unless you have a significant number of turbines in the farm and we're only proposing a handful realistically. 

There is a facebook group, Earystane & Scard Windfarm Community Action Group, where there is a host of opposition to these proposals. It's not public, you have to request to join. The opposition is led by local commissioner. former MLC applicant and relentless self publicist Kirree Jenkins. Worth a look if you can be arsed.

Edited by TheTeapot

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

There is a facebook group, Earystane & Scard Windfarm Community Action Group, where there is a host of opposition to these proposals. It's not public, you have to request to join. The opposition is led by local commissioner. former MLC applicant and relentless self publicist Kirree Jenkins. Worth a look if you can be arsed.

Is that the same Kirree Jenkins who is involved in the Ocean Generation group

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Tosspots 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I think anyone who is going to be affected by these wind turbines have the right to find out about the finer details of the planned installation of these machines and to dismiss them as tosspots is immature and not very polite.      There are pros and cons in every scheme that is proposed and this is the time to consider them before any money is committed .     Just for interest I wonder how much the 42 million has shrunk to already there is already mention of consultants and they never come cheap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

I think anyone who is going to be affected by these wind turbines have the right to find out about the finer details of the planned installation of these machines and to dismiss them as tosspots is immature and not very polite.      There are pros and cons in every scheme that is proposed and this is the time to consider them before any money is committed .     Just for interest I wonder how much the 42 million has shrunk to already there is already mention of consultants and they never come cheap.

What if they use up all the wind?

How will the yachts sail?

• Haha 3