Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

2 hours ago, Mercenary said:

is this not consistent with MUA/Wardell Armstrong saying they need 1 years worth of monitoring wind speed data at the Earystane site, followed by the monitoring equipment being moved to the Druidale site. The equipment has only gone up within the last month, so that puts the Earystane EIA at a minimum 1 year to 18 months away. Whether they would still proceed with the Druidale one is probably to be determined, it seems clear Earystane is believed to be the more viable site.

you'd think they'd use 2 lots of wind monitoring equipment and get it done quicker 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, WTF said:

you'd think they'd use 2 lots of wind monitoring equipment and get it done quicker 

If you can source two of those very difficult to get hold of bits of equipment then they would probably bite your hand off and pay you a decent finders fee.

Why does everyone here assume incompetence at every turn rather than considering that there might be valid reasons for things being done the way they are?  It must be a miserable way to live your life.

18 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

If you can source two of those very difficult to get hold of bits of equipment then they would probably bite your hand off and pay you a decent finders fee.

Why does everyone here assume incompetence at every turn rather than considering that there might be valid reasons for things being done the way they are?  It must be a miserable way to live your life.

That’s because it is incompetence. Institutional incompetence and its former incarnation MEA, it was involved in a financial scandal which reverberate to this day. Sorry to sound sceptical about anything which these ‘public bodies’ do. They have had plenty of opportunity to investigate alternative sources of power generation etc, but as per usual have kicked the can down the road. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Why does everyone here assume incompetence

For the very simple fact that 'we, the people' are governed and administered by amateurs with no expertise, perhaps with the exception of the legal system, in the multiplicity of complex matters that affect our every-day lives.  The past twenty years (just in my experience) holds a litany of catastrophes initiated and then  entrenched by the parish council.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Why does everyone here assume incompetence at every turn 

You could reasonably argue that staff from overseas conducting bird surveys in high viz and not consulting the huge bird watching community here at all is incompetent.

Or you could argue that doing it in such a way is designed to give a specific result. Which might be worse.

People assume incompetence because there has been a lot of it for a long time. Not just here either. It sinks into the subconscious. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

For the very simple fact that 'we, the people' are governed and administered by amateurs with no expertise, perhaps with the exception of the legal system, in the multiplicity of complex matters that affect our every-day lives.  The past twenty years (just in my experience) holds a litany of catastrophes initiated and then  entrenched by the parish council.

How many of those catastrophes were initiated in the last couple of years?

None.

The past is in the past.  Forget it and give the people in post now who are pretty much all new a chance to do some positive things without the constant bloody moaning and banging on about decades ago!

Are you David Quirk?  

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I think the gov. should organise one of these useful consultations.

The single question is "How should £40 million be spent?" It is a multiple-choice answer:

1. Wind turbines

2. The Civil Service

3. The health service.

I think it is guaranteed the gov. would say the result is a resounding two.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

How many of those catastrophes were initiated in the last couple of years.

many of the current clowns and CS experts have been there for longer than a couple of years, they may have had different job titles but they were shit where ever they were,

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WTF said:

many of the current clowns and CS experts have been there for longer than a couple of years, they may have had different job titles but they were shit where ever they were,

It’s pointless anyone even trying to move the island forward with thinking like that.

We might as well just close the borders and all go back to spuds and herring until the whole population is over 60 and we can’t afford to even generate electricity anymore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Are you David Quirk?

Who TF is David Quirk?

Are you one of the new breed of incompetents infesting the parish council?

You clearly didn't pay any attention in your history lessons (if you ever bothered going to them): “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

24 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

It’s pointless anyone even trying to move the island forward with thinking like that.

We might as well just close the borders and all go back to spuds and herring until the whole population is over 60 and we can’t afford to even generate electricity anymore.

the people employed for 'us' make sure nothing improves if it affects them , and to improve for non CS persons it has to affect them , 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Who TF is David Quirk?

Are you one of the new breed of incompetents infesting the parish council?

You clearly didn't pay any attention in your history lessons (if you ever bothered going to them): “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

I rest my case.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Until we get some fiscally responsible people in posts, this is where we are going ! Gov HR ensures that any new appointees fit the mould of mediocrity, and are unlikely to bring fresh ideas and rock the boat.

We have some truly outstandingly mediocre people in senior posts and I'm sure many private businesses here will tell you some are utterly unemployable outside Government. This mediocre mantra is deeply entrenched.

After thirty years of mediocre and declining performances of administrations, we are truly near the bottom now, and on a positive note you may be right, the only way is up !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There were some very interesting points made about wind farms today on Mannin Line if anyone is really interested they can use the listen again mode on MR the figures given at the Government conference regarding the amount of electricity these turbines produce was challenged and backed up by data which was quoted and available.   I am no expert on this subject, far from it, but it did appear as if we are getting sold this venture into wind farming by total amateurs who are bigging it up without taking some factors into consideration.   They seem to be treating the whole conception with the same mindset as a child has when they have set their sights on a particular toy.    Did anyone else hear this ?    I know there is a certain amount of drivel on ML but this was worth a listen.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

There were some very interesting points made about wind farms today on Mannin Line if anyone is really interested they can use the listen again mode on MR the figures given at the Government conference regarding the amount of electricity these turbines produce was challenged and backed up by data which was quoted and available.   I am no expert on this subject, far from it, but it did appear as if we are getting sold this venture into wind farming by total amateurs who are bigging it up without taking some factors into consideration.   They seem to be treating the whole conception with the same mindset as a child has when they have set their sights on a particular toy.    Did anyone else hear this ?    I know there is a certain amount of drivel on ML but this was worth a listen.

I heard it.  I wouldn’t believe anything that bloke says.  He seems to spend his whole life “researching “ thinks to try and discredit any sort of climate change theory.

• Like 1