Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

He did give plenty of pointers as to where you could look up his research and I think my cat knows more about wind power than the Green lot that are pushing to spend fortunes without any sort of solid foundation for their pie in the sky thinking. They have made their collective minds up we will have a wind farm no matter what and that is not clear headed thinking.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

He did give plenty of pointers as to where you could look up his research and I think my cat knows more about wind power than the Green lot that are pushing to spend fortunes without any sort of solid foundation for their pie in the sky thinking. They have made their collective minds up we will have a wind farm no matter what and that is not clear headed thinking.

It's Liverpool again ... at all costs just one vision. Look where we are with that ! I'm not against any of this green stuff at all ,and am very conservation minded. However I do feel it is being driven by people who do the "at all costs" mantra. I don't believe we have the money for this to overrun, neither do I believe that it should be done in the timescales we have agreed. These timescales mean gross magnitude errors are almost a given !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

You can find websites to backup any old crap.  It doesn’t mean it’s right.

I can pint you to plenty of websites stating that the COVID vax is evil.  Would you believe me just because I can point you to some links to back up what I am claiming?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

An island based Geophyist has come out on the NPM (MR) this morning saying that the island is making a big mistake, using wind and solar, and should use geothermal power instead. Unfortunately what we now getting is a plethora of experts adding their views and opinions, which in turn is bound to cause confusion. Then you will have politicos, Daffy Daffers, Professor Currant Bun and no doubt Professor Ashford all making demands, for more, to built faster. What can possibly go wrong? In some respects the geophysicist is entitled to their views, but maybe we should use wind, solar, tidal, hydro electric and geothermal power to generate power - and if there is other methods then providing it isn’t going to cost a fortune, then perhaps experiment. 

Which leads me on to opposition to the Windfarm in the South of the island, slowly building and getting publicity. With our politicos with one eye permanently on reelection, it will be a miracle if it gets off the ground. 

In the meantime IOMG are dickwaving announcing they are putting solar panels on the NSC, Nobles Hospital and the Sea Terminal. What about, Government Offices, Markwell House, Tynpotwald Building, Various High Schools etc. Why aren’t the new buildings at the old Nurses Home and Demesne Road, Crookall House not getting solar panels? Great this is getting done, but should have been done ages ago, and setting an example for others. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

An island based Geophyist has come out on the NPM (MR) this morning saying that the island is making a big mistake, using wind and solar, and should use geothermal power instead. Unfortunately what we now getting is a plethora of experts adding their views and opinions, which in turn is bound to cause confusion. Then you will have politicos, Daffy Daffers, Professor Currant Bun and no doubt Professor Ashford all making demands, for more, to built faster. What can possibly go wrong? In some respects the geophysicist is entitled to their views, but maybe we should use wind, solar, tidal, hydro electric and geothermal power to generate power - and if there is other methods then providing it isn’t going to cost a fortune, then perhaps experiment. 

Is that the same dude who spouts about geothermal every six months or so?  It's been discussed on here before. 

We don't live next to a volcano.  It's complete bollocks. 

Even the Manx Geological survey thinks so. 

https://www.manxgeology.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Potential-for-geothermal-energy-on-IoM.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know a few people who have had solar panels installed and they all say they are effective, so why not concentrate on these for a while and encourage people to have them installed by a reduction in rates, grants etc.    Social housing could have them installed gradually a slight increase in rents would be wiped out by a reduced electric bill.    The Green Party could concentrate on getting rid of single use plastic water bottles they have no place in modern society if they want to be useful .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, 2112 said:

Which leads me on to opposition to the Windfarm in the South of the island, slowly building and getting publicity. With our politicos with one eye permanently on reelection, it will be a miracle if it gets off the ground. 

In the meantime IOMG are dickwaving announcing they are putting solar panels on the NSC, Nobles Hospital and the Sea Terminal. What about, Government Offices, Markwell House, Tynpotwald Building, Various High Schools etc. Why aren’t the new buildings at the old Nurses Home and Demesne Road, Crookall House not getting solar panels? Great this is getting done, but should have been done ages ago, and setting an example for others. 

The man is a total twerp..he doesnt explain how he is going to drill down 100 of metres and by pumping a bit of tepid water around is going to generate 80mw of electricity. I can't believe the NPM is even giving him airtime.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS. PLEASE EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

11 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Is that the same dude who spouts about geothermal every six months or so?  It's been discussed on here before. 

We don't live next to a volcano.  It's complete bollocks. 

Even the Manx Geological survey thinks so. 

https://www.manxgeology.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Potential-for-geothermal-energy-on-IoM.pdf

So, one geophysicist says it is possibly, another says it isn’t. Actually, the one on the Mannin line was backed up by a second expert on a previous interview on the Mannin line. 
The truth is geothermal is 100% possible. It is a matter of cost versus reward. 

• Like 1

I am no expert so just did a quick Google search. 

Apparently the heat increases by 25° every kilometre. Another search tells me the laxey mines were 2 kilometres deep. If victorians could dig 2k with pickaxes then surely we could double that with modern drills quite easily.  A bit further again and you have steam coming back up.

Seems like a reasonable method of getting heat.

The nearer you get to the core of the earth the hotter it becomes I think we all agree on that how far you would have to dig and how the heat would be transferred to actually heating buildings is well above my head.    I do know though in countries that have hard, long winters some people dig deep holes in their driveways to stop them freezing over there again how deep you would have to go to get sufficient heat I do not know.

19 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Expert now then 😂

Why not just read the Manx Geological Survey link that has been posted numerous times, debunking the viability of geothermal on-Island? 

I did read it. Frankly it did not convince me.  Obviously there are conflicting expert opinions about this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

So, one geophysicist says it is possibly, another says it isn’t. Actually, the one on the Mannin line was backed up by a second expert on a previous interview on the Mannin line. 

Geo thermal is only pushed by the covid bedwetters on Mannin line I think we can give it a pass until a real scientist offers a factual analysis.

4 hours ago, Cambon said:

It's absolute bull shit. Tell me how you are going to make electricity with warm water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1