Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

24 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Is Binner a govrnment shill (like a few on here) trying to derail the thread, never heard him when the bin debate was relevant.

Could be - certainly showing no interest in wind turbines, not a single comment or view expressed on the turbine issue.

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I would seriously question the costs on transport and positioning of these turbines, if they are ever made known. Discharging on a beach and the subsequent transport ops to site are not for the faint hearted, financially or operationally.

Isn't that why they have employed experts to assess that?

20 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Any names?

It is in the scope of the Engineering Consultant that they have appointed.

I know its risky to assume anything but it often amuses me how stuff get criticised before its even started. Yes, you could be right and be a total shitshow. History tells us this. However its not always the case and to be fair the DOI are not even involved in this one.

Here is the feasibility report on the transport options which is in the public domain.

https://www.manxutilities.im/media/2755/appendix-6-transport.pdf

Thanks for posting the video Amadeus, as I couldn’t make it there, all on the stage looked like rabbits caught in the headlights to me, they didn’t give me any confidence in the project whatsoever.

There were lots of valid contributions from the floor ( why bring the meeting to an end when most people have not had they say) also having recently been up and very close to some windmills the whining noise from them is soul destroying and i for one wouldn’t want to live anywhere near them. 

So my own personal opinion is there not for me.

• Like 4

On 11/23/2023 at 8:22 PM, Two-lane said:

Ms Gladys is correct, as usual. IPV Flexgen's offices are at 24 Warwick New Road, Leamington Spa, CV32 5J, which is a serviced office building - they share offices with the British Limousin Cattle Society.

JESSAMINE, Edmund Damien, with 27 directorships in minor companies mostly in the green/solar industry, and mostly dissolved.

BELL, Arthur Herbert, (29 directorships) is another name that turns up in companies associated with Jessamine, and he has the same kind of c.v.

Jessamine's LinkedIn account is here:

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/ed-jessamine-0a6335123?trk=org-employees

The "large industry" type photo is a crop of the image used by https://www.rankeilour.com/

Their image is named as a shutterstock image, but Jessamine's is not.

The website shows "IPV Flexgen have over 12 years’ experience in developing renewable energy projects". The company was started in 2019.

"IPV Flexgen are award-winning renewable energy design and development consultants", but they are a bit shy about which awards they have won.

The three case studies they quote are either pre-construction or in-planning.

Well, call me cynical but I do not feel to enthusiastic about this proposed venture (other than using Andreas airfield).

Everyone has to start somewhere, but Jessamine seems to have made plenty of starts elsewhere.

The one in Rushen wasn't the only meeting about renewable energy last night:

Residents at a meeting in Andreas last night were told plans for a renewable energy hub in the area were still in the very early stages.

Working with the landowners of Andreas Airfield, IPV Flexgen wants to explore building a facility to generate and store energy on the site.

The company claims it could create up to a quarter of the Island's required electricity from things such as 'Anaerobic Digestion' from produce supplied by farms on the Island, as well as solar and wind provision.

[...]  Managing Director Ed Jessamine was told more details, designs and data would be needed before the community could get on board.

Seems an odd choice to have it at a time when all the MUA people and the MHK were at the other end of the Island.  But then Manx Forums seems to have managed to do more due diligence on this than either government or media seem capable of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It is in the scope of the Engineering Consultant that they have appointed.

I know its risky to assume anything but it often amuses me how stuff get criticised before its even started. Yes, you could be right and be a total shitshow. History tells us this. However its not always the case and to be fair the DOI are not even involved in this one.

Here is the feasibility report on the transport options which is in the public domain.

https://www.manxutilities.im/media/2755/appendix-6-transport.pdf

Why would the DOI not be involved?  Who will be building all the infrastructure including access roads and the works at the harbour?  Or is this all going to be done by Clive (independent advisor) callisters' firm?

Two on the radio poo pooing Croga ,the only way forward is wind turbines best to own them as they never brake down and always run at full power. MUA not for profit so will get cheaper my arse not when they have all the illegal loans to service. Seems Tywald had a different price for smart meters as £20,000,000 and not the 10 we were led to believe.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Two on the radio poo pooing Croga ,the only way forward is wind turbines best to own them as they never brake down and always run at full power. MUA not for profit so will get cheaper my arse not when they have all the illegal loans to service. Seems Tywald had a different price for smart meters as £20,000,000 and not the 10 we were led to believe.

It was always around £20 million.  But don't worry, Dr Allanson stated that the cost wouldn't be passed on to the customer....

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/smart-meters-to-be-introduced-in-4-year-programme/

• Haha 4

We need to have itemised bills for professional consultations, construction of turbines, cost of transport, Castletown landing stage, road alterations, access roads, maintenance agreements etc etc. 

Otherwise it will be like the Liverpool Sea Terminal where the price keeps going up and we don't know exactly what we are paying for.

• Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Two-lane said:

I have seen this statement in the press several times, but there has been no explanation of the reason. The power station is not that old (and cost a substantial amount of money). So which component has reached end-of-life? The gas turbines? The structure itself?

I suspect that it is not an end-of-life problem, but simply that gov. has decided to "phase out" the station and then  to use as justification for spending money on another solution.

The reason is that the IOMG wants all power to be zero carbon by 2030.

Not saying that's what I think before everyone jumps on my head. But that is the reason.

Its government driven. To achieve it the power station either needs to be powered by Hydrogen.....or gone!

36 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

We need to have itemised bills for professional consultations, construction of turbines, cost of transport, Castletown landing stage, road alterations, access roads, maintenance agreements etc etc. 

Otherwise it will be like the Liverpool Sea Terminal where the price keeps going up and we don't know exactly what we are paying for.

Who is 'we'?

40 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The reason is that the IOMG wants all power to be zero carbon by 2030.

Not saying that's what I think before everyone jumps on my head. But that is the reason.

Its government driven. To achieve it the power station either needs to be powered by Hydrogen.....or gone!

The power station will never go. To think that we can do without one is bonkers.