Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

I have to say hearing Dr Haywood on the radio at lunchtime she sounded totally clueless. What was her doctorate in as she now seems to think, like Daphne, as she’s now some sort of leading authority on sustainable energy now? 

This is another project where the money is already spent and where the full costs will only be revealed at completion as if the full costs were explained now nobody in Tynwald would vote for it. It’s Liverpool Terminal V2. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

This is another project where the money is already spent and where the full costs will only be revealed at completion as if the full costs were explained now nobody in Tynwald would vote for it. It’s Liverpool Terminal V2. 

I don’t agree often with you but I do feel the same way. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Dr Haywood What was her doctorate in

Biomed.  I think genetics specifically.

She's definitely a scientist.  I'd put significantly more trust in her judgement than Daffers though. 

Edited by The Phantom

55 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I have to say hearing Dr Haywood on the radio at lunchtime she sounded totally clueless. What was her doctorate in as she now seems to think, like Daphne, as she’s now some sort of leading authority on sustainable energy now? 

Well they are looking at using airships to transport the equipment, so you might be right on the budget madness.

Screenshot_2023-11-30-12-13-47-93_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.thumb.jpg.6e8166d6eab4a1a6bdf51d614d733fc1.jpg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Well they are looking at using airships to transport the equipment, so you might be right on the budget madness.

Screenshot_2023-11-30-12-13-47-93_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.thumb.jpg.6e8166d6eab4a1a6bdf51d614d733fc1.jpg

They're not looking at them.  They've just mentioned it has been proposed, (more than likely by some idiot at a public meeting ala the helicopter suggestion) but they've realised it's bullshit.  

Is a blast from the past though.  Early 80s there was an Airship operation up in Jurby.  Airship/Skyship Industries.  Unsurprisingly they went bust. 

So, from somewhere. .. " the government of the Isle of Man is working to phase out all fossil fuel fired power generation by 2040"

Their intention is the the IoM will present itself (or rather the politicians will present themselves with great fanfare) to the world as a country which is carbon-free for power generation - whilst importing power via an interconnector which is supplying power generated by means which may or may not be carbon free.

Do I have that right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a mad mad mad suggestion we the Isle Of Man will go carbon neutral when the good old USA and China get there's down to 15%.

And it still will not make 1 iota of difference to global warming climate change or whatever the buzz word will be. But will give us at least another 150 years to do it in small increments at cost of £38.20 a week. 

• Like 1

Exactly Andy an amount probably was included in the cost but it could be surely only a rough estimate, this is what happened with the promenade it was a much bigger job than first thought with all the utilities having stuff under it and god knows what else the Victorians had used for foundations, I wonder if they ever found all the old gas pipes.  The same, to an extent, with the landing stage unforeseen difficulties with the sea wall etc although I think we were screwed well and truly as well.    The costs to transport and position these turbines will be considerable and this whole project will no doubt cost double that is being quoted if it doesn’t it will be a first for anything this Government has had a hand in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Biomed.  I think genetics specifically.

She's definitely a scientist.  I'd put significantly more trust in her judgement than Daffers though. 

Right so she officially knows bugger all about renewable energy then just like Daphne and all the other woke wonders who will have us bankrupted over projects like this. She sounded totally out of her depth on the radio. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1