Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I listened to the first 20 odd minutes, she didn't sound out of her depth then.  What did she say later that showed she was not on top of the topic? 

A predictable reply from a poster who seems to find it simply impossible to agree with things some other posters might say about anything. It’s on play back listen to it yourself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

https://consult.gov.im/cabinet-office/climate-change-plan-2022-2027/supporting_documents/Future Energy Scenarios Supporting Document.pdf

Page 12, ISLAND DEMAND AND SECURITY OF SUPPLY, 

In my small understanding of things, when the gas power station is shut down the island will go from N-2 resilience (gas and interconnector go down, and the diesels will cope) to N-1 resilience - because if the interconnector goes down you cannot rely on wind power, and the diesels are all that is left.

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Here is a mad mad mad suggestion we the Isle Of Man will go carbon neutral when the good old USA and China get there's down to 15%.

And it still will not make 1 iota of difference to global warming climate change or whatever the buzz word will be. But will give us at least another 150 years to do it in small increments at cost of £38.20 a week. 

From recent discussions I get the feeling this isn’t about climate change for the CM and MHKs. At least not for all of them. Their concern seems to be that companies considering a move to the island apparently now increasingly check if the place is carbon neutral / esg / fluffy bunny friendly. The reasons are related to the economy, not to tree huggers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

So, from somewhere. .. " the government of the Isle of Man is working to phase out all fossil fuel fired power generation by 2040"

Their intention is the the IoM will present itself (or rather the politicians will present themselves with great fanfare) to the world as a country which is carbon-free for power generation - whilst importing power via an interconnector which is supplying power generated by means which may or may not be carbon free.

Do I have that right?

Bingo ! Come up to the stage to receive your prize.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Dr Hayward has something to do with scuba diving I think or something like that, marine life.   Herself and Daphne are a bit like the female version of the chuckle brothers as far as their knowledge of all things eco or green.

It's that middle class Dunning-Kruger effect that we see so often in Manx politics. The taxpayer always picks up the tab for these grandiose delusions.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's that middle class Dunning-Kruger effect that we see so often in Manx politics. The taxpayer always picks up the tab for these grandiose delusions.  

PFI it on a contract for difference basis it similar then, I'm sure commercial entities would be happy to take this one on

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I don’t agree often with you but I do feel the same way. 

It’s clearly being driven by the civil service net-zero bullshit bubble that they have now created for themselves to sustain jobs effectively doing little. No doubt though they are also dealing with a lot of wankey self important big corporates who are telling them that they couldn’t possibly come here if we don’t have green energy which is a polite excuse for not saying actually we wouldn’t touch the IOM with a barge pole. But those same wankey self absorbed corporate execs will move on to some other pointless virtue signaling nonsense eventually. No doubt the gaming industry too is telling them that for CSR purposes they will have to show their servers are burning x% of green energy too. So this will be delivered and just like Liverpool the costs will be hidden, Tynwald will then vote for it having been misled, and then in 5 years we’ll realize exactly how much it’s cost which will be 5 x what Tynwald originally voted for. Then we’ll spend more millions refurbishing the obsolete gas fired power station to provide the base load. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

From recent discussions I get the feeling this isn’t about climate change for the CM and MHKs. At least not for all of them. Their concern seems to be that companies considering a move to the island apparently now increasingly check if the place is carbon neutral / esg / fluffy bunny friendly. The reasons are related to the economy, not to tree huggers. 

What, do you think that's why Alfies five Chinese banks have not materialised. Not sure that would be true by the way coal fired power stations are being built over there

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

What, do you think that's why Alfies five Chinese banks have not materialised. Not sure that would be true by the way coal fired power stations are being built over there

Well, someone sure told them that it's important. You could tell from the narrative being used at Digital Isle and the windfarm events. Might be worth checking who's cashing in locally on all that ESG talk. 

5 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I have to say hearing Dr Haywood on the radio at lunchtime she sounded totally clueless. What was her doctorate in as she now seems to think, like Daphne, as she’s now some sort of leading authority on sustainable energy now? 

I think driving Juan into work every morning, something has got to rub off, so becoming a leading authority in  Life, the Universe and Everything is just underachieving really. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It’s clearly being driven by the civil service net-zero bullshit bubble that they have now created for themselves to sustain jobs effectively doing little. 

I'd normally agree and I think the energy policy area is problematic with DEFA CC seeming to steer much of it through the backdoor and self-imposed legislation, and MU seem to be lumbered with trying to implement whatever other arms of government decide is the best way to run their electric grid. 

However, on the face of it the wind turbines make strong economic sense - reduce gas bill by £15m/year, reduce sensitivity to gas price shocks, for £40m one-off (with minimal maintenance costs) for 20 year lifespan. Even if it ended up at double that the numbers would stick stack up.

Although obviously strong NIMBY lobby so it may never happen.

The reality is not 'if we don't do it, we save £40m ', it's 'spend £15m+ year more, every year'. It doesn't change the interconnector conversation, or the gas plant conversation, but it does save tens of millions at the margin which would be bought in gas/electric in any situation.