Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

14 hours ago, Holte End said:

I think driving Juan into work every morning, something has got to rub off, so becoming a leading authority in  Life, the Universe and Everything is just underachieving really. 

It seems she’s a marine biologist. But clearly she knows next to nothing about renewable energy. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

I was nearly right a Marine Biologist I knew it was something to do with fish.    If I remember correctly she had a bit of a ding dong with Rob and told him to fly away or words to that effect when he was briefly Health Minister , allegedly, that I think is her only claim to fame.   I heard a part of an interview with Juan on MR at 6.00 pm tonight and I am sure he was talking about the wind farm he thinks it will go over budget as well, in fairness he could have been referring to anything that is currently in the pipe line.   

4 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

If I remember correctly she had a bit of a ding dong with Rob and told him to fly away or words to that effect when he was briefly Health Minister , allegedly, that I think is her only claim to fame.

You gave yourself away there. 

The frustrating thing is no matter how many public meetings are held, how many comments are made, whatever steps are taken this windfarm is going to happen it is a done deal and the public have no say in the matter.   No one is listening to any concerns the meetings are just an excercise in pacifying the population and is akin to giving a child a dummy to shut them up.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

I'd normally agree and I think the energy policy area is problematic with DEFA CC seeming to steer much of it through the backdoor and self-imposed legislation, and MU seem to be lumbered with trying to implement whatever other arms of government decide is the best way to run their electric grid. 

However, on the face of it the wind turbines make strong economic sense - reduce gas bill by £15m/year, reduce sensitivity to gas price shocks, for £40m one-off (with minimal maintenance costs) for 20 year lifespan. Even if it ended up at double that the numbers would stick stack up.

Although obviously strong NIMBY lobby so it may never happen.

The reality is not 'if we don't do it, we save £40m ', it's 'spend £15m+ year more, every year'. It doesn't change the interconnector conversation, or the gas plant conversation, but it does save tens of millions at the margin which would be bought in gas/electric in any situation. 

Stop talking sense. You'll never be popular on here. 

You have hit the nail on the head. It's a right old dilemma and that's for sure.

Wind turbines make good sense. They are like a gas turbine with free gas. However that free gas only is there when it's windy and you need something for that base load. 

An interconnector is good for that but we only have one. Another is £250M and then that leaves us with a redundant power station that has 20 years to go until it's paid for. 

There is no easy answer. Neither economically nor climatologically

43 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

The reality is not 'if we don't do it, we save £40m ', it's 'spend £15m+ year more, every year'. It doesn't change the interconnector conversation, or the gas plant conversation, but it does save tens of millions at the margin which would be bought in gas/electric in any situation. 

This only rings true if every turbine runs maintenance free no break downs, speedy repairs not on the cards if we do not posses infrastructure as in fuck off big crane and spares package. Oh and the wind actually blows not to little and not to much. Good luck with that crystal ball on the weather to say how many days will be just right for optimum generation

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

This only rings true if every turbine runs maintenance free no break downs, speedy repairs not on the cards if we do not posses infrastructure as in fuck off big crane and spares package. Oh and the wind actually blows not to little and not to much. Good luck with that crystal ball on the weather to say how many days will be just right for optimum generation

don't worry the spares kits will cost millions and a certain favoured contractor has already ordered the massive cranes required to service them ,  Pulrose power station  has at least 20  years left in it , and plenty of spares  to be had from general electric  for the engines 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Stop talking sense. You'll never be popular on here. 

You have hit the nail on the head. It's a right old dilemma and that's for sure.

Wind turbines make good sense. They are like a gas turbine with free gas. However that free gas only is there when it's windy and you need something for that base load. 

An interconnector is good for that but we only have one. Another is £250M and then that leaves us with a redundant power station that has 20 years to go until it's paid for. 

There is no easy answer. Neither economically nor climatologically

The second interconnector was quoted as 2 billion in recent literature.  

56 minutes ago, asitis said:

Serious question, are we still paying for the illegal loans on the power station  ....... and when , if , does that end ?

The loans were not illegal.

About 25 years to go I think.

That's the issue. We will be paying for a power station that we no longer use. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Thanks very much. The loans were illegal in my understanding, up until the point Government had to decide they weren't , another fait a complis . Your last line is what I feared.

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The loans were legalised retrospectively. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1