Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

And if it doesn't......

The uncomfortable truth is that for people who want to maintain the status quo on the island then they need there to be a sizeable commercially viable gas field. 

The economics just don't stack up any other way. Allinson is drawing from reserves like there's no tomorrow. Without massive gas revenues then I'm afraid the island will see austerity like it never has before... it won't be a polticial choice at that stage, it will be economic reality forced upon us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 0bserver said:

The uncomfortable truth is that for people who want to maintain the status quo on the island then they need there to be a sizeable commercially viable gas field. 

The economics just don't stack up any other way. Allinson is drawing from reserves like there's no tomorrow. Without massive gas revenues then I'm afraid the island will see austerity like it never has before... it won't be a polticial choice at that stage, it will be economic reality forced upon us. 

Well this is kind of what I was alluding to!

• Thanks 1

They’ve got an expert overview and options are scoped in and out.

We’ve a decent natural resource to supplement any supply and resilience provided by cable interconnectors.

Expect defensive parish politics to prevent it or lead to selection of an unsuitable site. No one moans about transmitters on the top of Beary, The Howe, Snaefell or Carnane or flooded valleys where reservoirs are etc. The usual soon to be dead crew will be out with their pitchforks and those who think green is bollocks and the magic gas field no one can finance makes it all unnecessary or premature. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

The uncomfortable truth is that for Govt employees of all ranks and their unions who want to maintain the status quo on the island then they need there to be a sizeable commercially viable gas field.

Fixed. Keep praying, guys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think it’s a good first step towards renewable energy.

Glad they have gone onshore as reduced long term maintenance costs compared to offshore .

They appear to have not included the required infrastructure costs to allow the grid to take the increase in electrical supply. Wonder when this will come to the surface.This will not be cheap as indicated in the Arup report!!!

Let’s hope Crogga comes off to support further investment in renewables and infrastructure , without this revenue it simply will not be affordable for the IOM .

Edited by Mann O Mann
  • Thanks 3

I am unsure about the rush to blame every undesirable natural event on global warming, lots of people say it is, and lots of people say it isn't, depends what you read. I do however think it is a good idea to reduce atmospheric pollution in any way we can, that has got to be good for everyone whichever side of the science you accept.

Reducing the emissions of the island is no doubt a good thing I just hope our elected use some common sense and don't bankrupt us all for the wrong reasons. We need to base what we do on what is good for the Isle of Man, and not some feel good factor about our contribution to a global problem, the effect we can have on that, being sweet fanny adams.

It would be a dream for clean cheaper energy but as we have learned here over lots of years anything government get involved in is not going to mean cheaper, quite the opposite !

2 hours ago, asitis said:

I am unsure about the rush to blame every undesirable natural event on global warming, lots of people say it is, and lots of people say it isn't, depends what you read. I do however think it is a good idea to reduce atmospheric pollution in any way we can, that has got to be good for everyone whichever side of the science you accept.

Reducing the emissions of the island is no doubt a good thing I just hope our elected use some common sense and don't bankrupt us all for the wrong reasons. We need to base what we do on what is good for the Isle of Man, and not some feel good factor about our contribution to a global problem, the effect we can have on that, being sweet fanny adams.

It would be a dream for clean cheaper energy but as we have learned here over lots of years anything government get involved in is not going to mean cheaper, quite the opposite !

0CDDD881-59BA-4B54-BA9C-16DA6CE776ED.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Happier diner said:

The Isle of Man.

Just in case you forgot, Nobles cost 3x original price Power station cost fuck knowsx original price Incinerator cost fuck knows x original price Prison 2x original price Liverpool landing stage ??????x original price now are you getting the picture of why the natives are a little bit sceptical. I am sure there are many more schemes Wedding cake Jurby race track list is endless.

• Like 5