Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

26 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The turbines generate electricity in the range of hundreds of volts, which is convert by a local transformer to the kV range.

I assume this has to go back to the one of the power stations, Peel or Douglas, so that it can be fed into the grid. Presumably this will be by underground cable, because by pylon would create some opposition.

I do not think that the wind turbine output can be simply fed into the local 240v sockets. I do not think it is that easy.

No it isn't that easy, but neither is it particularly difficult. See my other post. 

44 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Hmm so you don't believe any additional infrastructure is required? How is the voltage regulated?  The power HAS to go back to the power station.  But there's obviously a large cost associated with that which we are not being told about.

What is your obsession with the power stations..

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I believe a new cable is required to get the power to castletown and then some new equipment is required to let it feed into the grid and feed all the south + back feeding into the East via the existing cable infrastructure

My assumption was that the hv would need to go back to somewhere where it could be fed into the source of the grid power - with the necessary equipment for transformering down of the voltage and syncing with the grid. If the MUA have plans to do that elsewhere, that is good. Do you have a references to any MUA documents that discuss this?

[And, as a not too serious comment, how come the South get all the cheap electricity?]

19 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

My assumption was that the hv would need to go back to somewhere where it could be fed into the source of the grid power - with the necessary equipment for transformering down of the voltage and syncing with the grid. If the MUA have plans to do that elsewhere, that is good. Do you have a references to any MUA documents that discuss this?

[And, as a not too serious comment, how come the South get all the cheap electricity?]

It won't be cheap!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Perhaps Peel Group will build it and coincidence the additional power is used for Peel Group cannabis farm 🤔😂😂

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

What happened to the "Pure, Clean, Natural Gas" adverts. They seem to have been  eliminated from the Internet. Or maybe it is just a false memory.

Along with the cheap bit from circa 2002 when they started converting appliances on the Island...

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

39 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I don't have any references, but I understand how electricity grids work to a certain extent. I know you can feed in at different points ( like the hydro at sulby does). You do have to synchronise the frequency but that's run of the mill technology these days.

Everyone pays the same person unit regardless of the source so there will be no advantage of living in the south. 

15 hours ago, Doctor Kenneth Noisewater said:

Electricity generated does not have to go back to the power stations, just to one of the primary substations, in this case castle town would be most likely. Wind turbine generators will generate at HV and fed into the HV distribution system

https://www.manxutilities.im/about-us/our-assets/electricity/

And does the substation require upgrades for this? 

The mea have previously stated that the grid can't support any more renewables from home users.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The mea have previously stated that the grid can't support any more renewables from home users.

Probably just because their bitter about individuals self generating rather than getting it from the MEA. 

In South Africa, Eskom the national and broken electricity firm has been actively blocking individuals and communities from setting up their own electricity generation options (both renewable or not) as they know they need the income to try and fix their own infrastructure or continue their historical embezzlement. 

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

Can you reference this. I have never seen this said. I think you are talking nonsense. It always been a business decision, you can feed in but we will pay you peanuts for it as you are giving it us when we have no demand. 

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

Yes. It's not a big job though. Just a feed in relay and synchronisation unit I reckon. Maybe £100k or something in that region. 

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Can you reference this. I have never seen this said. I think you are talking nonsense. It always been a business decision, you can feed in but we will pay you peanuts for it as you are giving it us when we have no demand. 

They are half right as you can only feed in a small amount less than 2kw I think.

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

They are half right as you can only feed in a small amount less than 2kw I think.

Understood. Yes in a domestic situation there would be limits, but 2kw is still a good chunk of power. That's quite a few solar panels. Realistically any more would be a commercial operation.