Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

1 hour ago, finlo said:

The round the island network 33KV appears to have a convenient branch off to the exact proposed location.

electric-notop.jpg

It foes, but as I mentioned earlier, that is needed for the Solar link

• Haha 1

A while ago I tried to find out why wind turbines are painted white. Like everything involved in this industry, there are many points of view - and all of them are considered to be the correct one.

1.  White turbines are less visually intrusive and blend better with the environment

2. White turbines stand out like a sore thumb - this is necessary so that pilots can see them

3. White surfaces reflect the heat, which is necessary to keep them cool. There are no electronics in the column or the blades. The electronics and mechanical bits are only in the nacelle - which is on top of a big column sticking out into a  chilly breeze. And there are no cooling fins on them, so they cannot be getting hot.

4. The most likely one I read is that they are white to express the purity of the energy they are generating.

I sometimes wear a white T-shirt to express the purity of my thoughts - and they are cheap from Poundland.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Earystane looks like somebody has decided that their wet dreams must be forced through at any expense. A bit like electric trams on the Douglas prom.

Agree they could probably have built it in a dump like Jurby where nobody would care but likely decided it was much better to destroy an area of natural beauty by pumping thousands of sq meters of concrete into it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

A while ago I tried to find out why wind turbines are painted white. Like everything involved in this industry, there are many points of view - and all of them are considered to be the correct one.

1.  White turbines are less visually intrusive and blend better with the environment

2. White turbines stand out like a sore thumb - this is necessary so that pilots can see them

3. White surfaces reflect the heat, which is necessary to keep them cool. There are no electronics in the column or the blades. The electronics and mechanical bits are only in the nacelle - which is on top of a big column sticking out into a  chilly breeze. And there are no cooling fins on them, so they cannot be getting hot.

4. The most likely one I read is that they are white to express the purity of the energy they are generating.

I sometimes wear a white T-shirt to express the purity of my thoughts - and they are cheap from Poundland.

They are generally white to so stand out like a sore thumb. Virtue signaling.

I noticed on TV at Glastonbury, they are painted different colours. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cambon said:

They are generally white to so stand out like a sore thumb. Virtue signaling.

I noticed on TV at Glastonbury, they are painted different colours. 

No. A simple Google reveals the answer.

https://yourstory.com/2024/06/why-wind-turbines-painted-white-benefits-reasons

Anyway I thought you were not against them. 

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So if they change them to green you would be ok with them?

They can paint them the colours of the rainbow as far as I am concerned, if they put them in Jurby. For the price of five at earystane, they can put about nine at Jurby. Which do you think will produce more electricity ? 

9 hours ago, Cambon said:

They can paint them the colours of the rainbow as far as I am concerned, if they put them in Jurby. For the price of five at earystane, they can put about nine at Jurby. Which do you think will produce more electricity ? 

Well by your Vestas source, Earystane (was approx double the annual MWh based on the mean wind speeds)