Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

On 7/5/2024 at 3:51 PM, Happier diner said:

I'd like to see a reference for that. I would agree that it would have consistently less wind. 

Yes, slightly, but the fact that there  are no hills close by means wind will be consistent. Eary has hills that will cause updraft and eddies that will make the windmills stall. Simple science. What it comes down to is cost. Eary is going to cost an absolutely obscene fortune. Jurby is not. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Sorry are we seriously still talking about fucking up the landscape with wind turbines? The same biosphere landscape that’s apparently so unique and needs to be protected? These things couldn’t be put offshore no? We’re just going to let them fuck another thing up? 

Maybe the AI Biosphere needs propellers?  I still don't know what it means (well I do know what I biosphere is, but still can't connect it to us or AI).  The true definition of a biosphere would be a virtually closed system requiring no inputs and generating no outputs.   Geo is a non starter, it's not really sunny enough for proper solar, so big propellers seems like the only option to be self sufficient.  It's just where to put them.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Maybe the AI Biosphere needs propellers?  I still don't know what it means (well I do know what I biosphere is, but still can't connect it to us or AI).  The true definition of a biosphere would be a virtually closed system requiring no inputs and generating no outputs.   Geo is a non starter, it's not really sunny enough for proper solar, so big propellers seems like the only option to be self sufficient.  It's just where to put them.... 

Like many people in the Isle of Man, I’m 100% in favour of wind turbines, unless they ruin my view.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Yes, slightly, but the fact that there  are no hills close by means wind will be consistent. Eary has hills that will cause updraft and eddies that will make the windmills stall. Simple science. What it comes down to is cost. Eary is going to cost an absolutely obscene fortune. Jurby is not. 

No hills near jurby? What's your definition of near? What about Karrin?

TBH I would be more in favour if we had the financial resources to really go for renewables , and make them able to supply the vast majority of our electricity. What we are doing seems lip service for feel good motives, as it does little to lessen our dependency on fossil fuels, or other infrastructure , but gives a few people a warm glow !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2024 at 8:23 PM, Amadeus said:

Sorry are we seriously still talking about fucking up the landscape with wind turbines? The same biosphere landscape that’s apparently so unique and needs to be protected? These things couldn’t be put offshore no? We’re just going to let them fuck another thing up? 

These are the sort of idiots pushing for this. We all know it’s going to be a complete disaster because the people supporting it are largely muppets.

Edited by Idleweiss
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No hills near jurby? What's your definition of near? What about Karrin?

Nearest hills are two miles away to south east. We rarely get south east winds, and there would be minimal effect. Eary has the whole west side with updraft and WNW is Cronk Ny Arry Laa. To the west South Barrule. South and south west will have its own updraft. The wind at Eary is only higher due to the hills focusing it from certain directions. If they fo get built, Government will obviously claim a success, but expect many diesel deliveries up there to keep the things turning.

If we bought in from the proposed offshore windfarm, yes, it will cost per unit, but ghat could be offset by the seabed rental and other taxes and fees. Basically, free electricity for no outlay. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Nearest hills are two miles away to south east. We rarely get south east winds, and there would be minimal effect. Eary has the whole west side with updraft and WNW is Cronk Ny Arry Laa. To the west South Barrule. South and south west will have its own updraft. The wind at Eary is only higher due to the hills focusing it from certain directions. If they fo get built, Government will obviously claim a success, but expect many diesel deliveries up there to keep the things turning.

If we bought in from the proposed offshore windfarm, yes, it will cost per unit, but ghat could be offset by the seabed rental and other taxes and fees. Basically, free electricity for no outlay. 

You are delusional. In so many ways. 

And what diesel are you talking about? What are they going to do with diesel at earystane?

5 minutes ago, Idleweiss said:

The very funny thing about those who support the wind turbines is that one of the, let’s face it, nutters tried to place a £2,000 bet with @Stu Peters on Facebook the other day. But it looks like the UK company behind Go Green IOM and Sustain IOM is worth the sum total of absolutely bugger all from the UK accounts. But of course placing a big wager with an MHK on social media to look hard to 5 other people without adding any context to it just makes you look an idiot. 

These are the sort of idiots pushing for this. We all know it’s going to be a complete disaster. 

IMG_5268.jpeg

Erm if you knew how to do even basic research you could read the company number on the Go Green Website which is an IOM LTD and does not match the UK one, It's like your one of those Nazi types who spread lies and misinformation all over the internet hoping thickos like Stu Peters will go 'that will do'.

42 minutes ago, asitis said:

TBH I would be more in favour if we had the financial resources to really go for renewables , and make them able to supply the vast majority of our electricity. What we are doing seems lip service for feel good motives, as it does little to lessen our dependency on fossil fuels, or other infrastructure , but gives a few people a warm glow !

So saving between £5M and £10M per year on gas isn't worth having and isn't a sensible bit of investment. Even using @Cambon s very conservative estimates about MW produced it gives a payback of 8 years. 

That's a nice warm glow for me

On 7/10/2024 at 7:17 PM, FatRoundMiddle said:

Erm if you knew how to do even basic research you could read the company number on the Go Green Website which is an IOM LTD and does not match the UK one, It's like your one of those Nazi types who spread lies and misinformation all over the internet hoping thickos like Stu Peters will go 'that will do'.

Edited by Idleweiss

Just now, Idleweiss said:

It’s the same shareholder at the same address in Peel. Check the register yourself. I’ve already bought the IOM accounts which are another shit show and will likely stick them up as well (not here). 

So they have the same shareholder, not the same company, so the guy made you look a complete tool on the internet so start a personal vendetta, proper nazi scum behaviour.

On 7/10/2024 at 7:21 PM, FatRoundMiddle said:

So they have the same shareholder, not the same company, so the guy made you look a complete tool on the internet so start a personal vendetta, proper nazi scum behaviour.

Who is a tool? 

Edited by Idleweiss

1 minute ago, Idleweiss said:

Who is a tool? The IOM accounts are a shit show too. I’m sure they will end up online soon. 

Well you obviously, personal threats and allegations because the guy quotes real information that shows up the stupidity of angry old fascists.

• Haha 1