Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

45 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You are delusional. In so many ways. 

And what diesel are you talking about? What are they going to do with diesel at earystane?

You do realise that the windmills don’t just start turning, don’t you? They need diesels to start those heavy blades moving and at times to keep them moving in erratic winds.
MU will have them spinning at full pelt in no wind just to make it look like value for money. 

"A wind turbine cannot start without power to the controller. The controller needs to make sure the turbine is pointed in the right direction relative to the wind, and that means it may have to “yaw” (or turn) the turbine into the wind, which requires a lot of power for a few minutes. Then the blades must be pitched for operation which requires power for about a minute. Once these are done, the turbine will begin to operate and produce its own power, no longer needing power from the grid."

46 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So saving between £5M and £10M per year on gas isn't worth having and isn't a sensible bit of investment. Even using @Cambon s very conservative estimates about MW produced it gives a payback of 8 years. 

That's a nice warm glow for me

You are dreaming again. Gas prices are at basically an all time low, against: Consultancy so far, £10M,  five turbines, £15M, installation, £50M, connection £10M. Additional consultancy, £10M backhanders £5M, Minimum. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

You do realise that the windmills don’t just start turning, don’t you? They need diesels to start those heavy blades moving and at times to keep them moving in erratic winds.
MU will have them spinning at full pelt in no wind just to make it look like value for money. 

That’s simply not true. They draw power from the grid to point in the correct direction, but they self start.

Occasionally when there is extreme cold and a grid fault they have been hooked up to heat the lubricants in the turbine. But that is very very unusual.

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I am not sure if this is so. Who had heard of Rosie before the Internet was invented?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5T5ZhJQr2o

The last pitch setting seems to be important.

Just when you think something is trivially simple, someone mentions Bernoulli or some other foreigner.

Whether they self start with wind, once pointing in the correct direction and with correct blade pitch,  or a push from the grid, it’s not diesels as postulated by you.

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

So saving between £5M and £10M per year on gas isn't worth having and isn't a sensible bit of investment. Even using @Cambon s very conservative estimates about MW produced it gives a payback of 8 years. 

That's a nice warm glow for me

But what will the power station need in 8 years and what has happened to the debt.

9 hours ago, asitis said:

But what will the power station need in 8 years and what has happened to the debt.

If you refurbish the power station - still save £5-10 m/year

If you build a new power station - still save £5-10 m/year 

If you rely on interconnectors - still save £5-10 m/year

Difference between fixed and marginal costs 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cambon said:

You are dreaming again. Gas prices are at basically an all time low, against: Consultancy so far, £10M,  five turbines, £15M, installation, £50M, connection £10M. Additional consultancy, £10M backhanders £5M, Minimum. 

You need help.

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You need help.

I think you are the one who needs a reality check. I bet you didn’t even know that MU have changed their minds and are going for the 5MW turbines rather than the 4MW. 

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

I think you are the one who needs a reality check. I bet you didn’t even know that MU have changed their minds and are going for the 5MW turbines rather than the 4MW. 

Makes complete sense based on the Vestas technical documents you linked to & the wind speeds from previous survey, and again completely undermines your 'estimates'

20 hours ago, FatRoundMiddle said:

Erm if you knew how to do even basic research you could read the company number on the Go Green Website which is an IOM LTD and does not match the UK one, It's like your one of those Nazi types who spread lies and misinformation all over the internet hoping thickos like Stu Peters will go 'that will do'.

*you’re*. I may be thick about many things but at least I understand basic grammar.

20 hours ago, Idleweiss said:

The very funny thing about those who support the wind turbines is that one of the persistent, let’s face it, Facebook nutters who support this tried to place a £2,000 bet with @Stu Peters on Facebook the other day. But it looks like the UK company behind Go Green IOM and Sustain IOM is worth the sum total of absolutely bugger all from the UK accounts. But of course placing a big wager with an MHK on social media to look hard to 5 other people without adding any context to it just makes you look an idiot. 

These are the sort of idiots pushing for this. We all know it’s going to be a complete disaster because the people supporting it are largely muppets.

IMG_5268.jpeg

How do you know this company has anything to do with the IOM company with the same name?