Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

It seems I'm also missing this magical funnel?  Where would that be exactly?  You know the turbines can yaw into the wind?

Saw the following recently - Wind turbine vs tornado.  Some incredible footage from a drone.  Interestingly they seem to mostly just fold in half, rather than having their blades shredded, which is what I would have expected. 

Listen to David Quirk. He is the one who brought up the funnel effect. However, he only talked about the positives not the negatives. Cherry picking. Just as Paul Burgess has been accused of . 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Listen to David Quirk. He is the one who brought up the funnel effect. However, he only talked about the positives not the negatives. Cherry picking. Just as Paul Burgess has been accused of . 

Seems to talk at lot of sense to most, wind farms are being pushed by UK Government as well 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crglp32zzw2o

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, cissolt said:

electricity won't go down

I think we can all agree on this, no matter our stance on Earystane. It seems to me this is bound to be the case as we are developing a whole new raft of infrastructure without being able to decommission the old. I get the gas reduction cost argument but we still have the power station to upkeep and run, oh and the debt !

Cheaper cleaner energy would be Nirvana, but it's not going to happen !

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, asitis said:

I think we can all agree on this, no matter our stance on Earystane. It seems to me this is bound to be the case as we are developing a whole new raft of infrastructure without being able to decommission the old. I get the gas reduction cost argument but we still have the power station to upkeep and run, oh and the debt !

Cheaper cleaner energy would be Nirvana, but it's not going to happen !

Surely it is more about meeting increased demand for electricity, we need more production to decarbonize transport and home heating, until an interconnecter can provide the base load the power station will.

17 hours ago, Cambon said:

Listen to David Quirk. He is the one who brought up the funnel effect. However, he only talked about the positives not the negatives. Cherry picking. Just as Paul Burgess has been accused of does

There is a funnel effect. Not an issue at EaryStane. There is nothing to funnel it. Jurby? More likely.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

There is a funnel effect. Not an issue at EaryStane. There is nothing to funnel it. Jurby? More likely.

Jurby is almost completely open, it is a brown field site. Parts can be landed at the beach 500 metres away. Peel, parts can be landed on the dock. Turbines can connect straight into the power station. Both have unfettered access to prevailing winds. Earystane has none of these advantages. It will be the island’s most expensive failure to date, making the Liverpool shed look good value. 
I am not against renewables. I am against Earystane.