Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

13 hours ago, Mann O Mann said:

Yes the introduction of renewable energy in the Shetland Islands has not led to a significant reduction in the cost of electricity per kilowatt-hour, electricity prices have generally remained high, and in some cases increased.

The cost of electricity can be around 30-50% higher than the UK average. This translates to an average cost of around 20-25 pence per kilowatt-hour , though in some cases it is even higher.

The idiot Miliband is going to dig the UK further into debt with his ridiculous target of Net Zero by 2030. 

Our population in the Island will grow as more people jump from the UK , just watch in the next few years .

Imagine paying 28.5p per KWH

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mann O Mann said:

Yes the introduction of renewable energy in the Shetland Islands has not led to a significant reduction in the cost of electricity per kilowatt-hour, electricity prices have generally remained high, and in some cases increased.

The cost of electricity can be around 30-50% higher than the UK average. This translates to an average cost of around 20-25 pence per kilowatt-hour , though in some cases it is even higher.

The idiot Miliband is going to dig the UK further into debt with his ridiculous target of Net Zero by 2030. 

Our population in the Island will grow as more people jump from the UK , just watch in the next few years .

But they’re saving the planet😂

• Haha 5

I am no expert but I still think lots of "micro" green projects would be more efficient.  Loads of solar panels on houses/offices/govt buildings. A few small wind turbines in housing estates etc.

£40m would cover a lot of this.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NoTail said:

I am no expert but I still think lots of "micro" green projects would be more efficient.  Loads of solar panels on houses/offices/govt buildings. A few small wind turbines in housing estates etc.

£40m would cover a lot of this.

Like you say. You are no expert. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Like you say. You are no expert. 

He may not be an expert, but he is correct. 
small projects are always better than “eggs in one basket” approach. 
Net zero electricity would actually be quite easy to achieve. Just fire up the diesels and run them on biofuel. Job done. No massive outlay. 

• Thanks 2

Water turbines in the rivers.

How many disused water mills are there? They were working a hundred years ago, and with modifications the mill race could be adapted to producing electricity. Micro hydro fed into the grid is more reliable than solar/wind. No incentives and no thought given.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

I am wondering how much of the forty two million pounds is left I bet is has been dripping away at speed whilst decisions are made then changed etc by the time anything is at construction stage the money will be long gone.

I think all the taxpayers know that the 40 million will achieve nothing, we'll probably end up adding a zero !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, philwebs said:

How many disused water mills are there? They were working a hundred years ago, and with modifications the mill race could be adapted to producing electricity. Micro hydro fed into the grid is more reliable than solar/wind. No incentives and no thought given.

I am afraid that if you harnessed every drop of energy from every single Manx river and stream you would get next to nothing in power. It's a fact. Water turbines in rivers? I'm afraid not. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, philwebs said:

less than 200 water wheels about 15 water corn mills maybe 30 or small threshing mills - currently putting a few pages on manxnotebook re mills (look under gazateer - the largest wheel, the Lady isabella, was estimated to produce 260hp ie about 200kwh. most mills about 16hp tho the larger one at Laxey had a 60hp turbine + coal fired steam engine.

The island has no large rivers other than the Sulby and no high catchment areas - there are reports looking into this type of scheme from 1890 onwards - all soon came to conclusion insufficient to be useful except for very small isolated use

• Like 1