Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

On 9/3/2024 at 4:11 PM, Non-Believer said:

I believe that they certainly do, maybe even harking back to the days of Mike Proffit's generosity and largesse towards the people he brought in.

You believe or you know?

Know or guessing?

Read any of the annual reports?

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Sadly I think this project already has a momentum of its own, which means that any negative views, no matter their independence and veracity, will be discounted. Another thread will start in a few years time exploring the economic disaster, and why no one tried to fully explore the possible financial outcomes at the outset. A few people are going to bed with a fuzzy warm feeling at their part in saving the planet. We don't do assessment and common sense here, we prefer enquiries after the event !

I agree. It’s basically a done deal because some people say so. It’s gonna go over budget and behind schedule. It will be a fuck up just like most other IOMG projects. Nobody will be held responsible as usual. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Amadeus said:

### Conclusion

While onshore wind farms are often perceived as a straightforward solution to renewable energy needs, they do not align with the long-term economic and environmental goals of the Isle of Man. The risks—both economic and socio-environmental—outweigh the potential benefits. By focusing on offshore wind, solar, and geothermal energy, the Isle of Man can maintain its **competitive edge** in renewable energy without compromising the island's unique landscape or socio-economic fabric.

Interesting.  I would however highlight that we are small island in the middle of the sea and I would have thought that the info that ChatGP is pulling is probably comparing offshore to proper inland.  The exposure to (certainly the predominant wind direction at Earystane) wind wouldn't really be that much different whether it was in the middle of the sea or on an unobstructed hill near the sea.  The difference is the cost.  Offshore costs more to build and more to maintain. 

If we're paying for it: Onshore.  If someone else is paying for it: Offshore. 

I discovered over the weekend that Orsted main shareholder is the Danish Govt.  It's like an ironic Viking invasion all over again. 

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What has loans got to do with bonuses?

You should look at the water companies in the UK. 

The amount of loans that they have collectively received very coincidentally matches the bonuses and dividends given out to shareholders. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

You should look at the water companies in the UK. 

The amount of loans that they have collectively received very coincidentally matches the bonuses and dividends given out to shareholders. 

The executive at MUA are not shareholders. Not seeing any relevance at all and I am surprised that you are running with the pack on this. 

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You believe or you know?

Know or guessing?

Read any of the annual reports?

The MUA Annual Reports tell the public what the MUA like and wish the public to know, just like many other arms of government; until there is FOI or public knowledge.

If some of the MUA T&Cs and perks and benefits, particular at senior level became full public knowledge there would be revulsion, especially in the light of consumer electricity prices. Mike Proffit still has a great deal to answer for.

Belt-tightening, even after the MEA debacle, was never part of the MUA vernacular.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

The MUA Annual Reports tell the public what the MUA like and wish the public to know, just like many other arms of government; until there is FOI or public knowledge.

If some of the MUA T&Cs and perks and benefits, particular at senior level became full public knowledge there would be revulsion, especially in the light of consumer electricity prices. Mike Proffit still has a great deal to answer for.

Belt-tightening, even after the MEA debacle, was never part of the MUA vernacular.

Get an FOI in then and keep us all updated. 👍

Edited by Happier diner