Registered Buildings

TheTeapot

43 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Why is All Saints Church, now listed for sale, a registered building?

Not only is it actually quite ugly, it is also not architecturally special, is not in keeping with the buildings it is surrounded by and is not especially old. There will be people on these boards who can remember what was there before it.

It’s registered ( we don’t have listing here ) because it does have Manx architectural significance. It, and the sea terminal are cool 1960’s concrete public buildings. I like them both.

As for what was there before it was the Tin Tab, built 1895, wood frame and corrugated iron ( at a time when the Fenella Hotel, Bungalow Hotel, Dhoon Hotel were constructed in the same way ). Demolished 1965. New church ( the registered one ) opened 1967.

The Tin Tabernacle

IMG_4863.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s registered ( we don’t have listing here ) because it does have Manx architectural significance. It, and the sea terminal are cool 1960’s concrete public buildings.

OK, rather than the why, what is the point of it being registered?

Also, why have you got that brackets bit about listing as of youre trying to correct me when I didn't refer to such?

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It’s registered ( we don’t have listing here ) because it does have Manx architectural significance. It, and the sea terminal are cool 1960’s concrete public buildings. I like them both.

I’m with you on that John. 

it’d be great to see something interesting done with this church - and I would love to see the Sea Terminal given a bit of TLC. It is a really cool and unique building.

• Like 1

The island would benefit from  a purge of registered buildings. So few of them are actually that good/interesting/unique. 

An 18 month purge would help. De-register them all and let owners re-apply for registered status if they wished. Also include conservation areas in that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StrangeBrew said:

I think it would make a great music/event/art space. That’s not to say we need another in that area…

Yes, it would but is there a demand for it?   It's hard to think of a use for it in that location. 

• Like 1

The Sea Terminal building is exquisite and is something that should be protected, FOR EVER. It is an architecturally significant building.

The Sea Terminal building is far more important than the SH1T that is/ was the Newsons "building".

The church is similar to the Sea Terminal in age, and IMHO good, but the Sea Terminal building needs proper preservation and stripping away of the PVC windows under the "crown"

• Like 4

I believe that the architecture is based on typically Swiss or German style? Particularly inside.

I think it was closed because of a problem with a leaking roof, which can’t be too difficult to rectify.

I thought it would make a great Mosque personally!

• Like 1