Registered Buildings

TheTeapot

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

I don’t care about them. They can slide around as much as they like. 

Well I'm working in one such place just now. The main street is being replaced with similar/identical Chinese granite stuff. The main Street is on a bit of a slope - I look forward to winter.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Pooilvaaish stone is not soft (in stone terms). In the vernacular "it's as hard as fuck" sort of thing. So is Castle Rushen limestone of course, and that's not soft either. (Whereas Peel sandstone is soft).

Marble is less porous than limestone and as such is considered to be more durable than limetone. Both from the same make-up of calcite. Generally, Pooilvaaish limestone has not gone through the full metamorphosis of pressure and temperature to be considered as a true marble.

So Pooil Vaaish/Pooilvaaish stone is somewhere in between limestone and marble. And certainly not soft although it may well have other qualities that might not be 100% ideal for steps.

Certainly 20 years ago there are at least some steps, or parts of steps, at St Paul's Cathedral that could well be Pooil Vaaish. 

Some excellent geological comment there. 

Walking along the coast around that area is really interesting for a rock-spotter with the transition from Limestone to proper volcanic intrusions.  My favorite bit is the obvious Limestone folding near the Scarlett visitor centre, full of crinoid fossils then obviously the basaltic sea-stack which actually exhibits some columnar jointing on the seaward side. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Not if Ashie and his marvelous machine have anything to do with it.... 

That was the cunning plan.  It actually went round collecting gum from elsewhere and then laying it down on the Chinese granite.  Until it got gummed up.

(Actually people seem much less likely to be chewing gum nowadays.  But no doubt it's time for the DoI to rip everything up and start again).

• Like 1

I was completely in awe of Carlo. Spaghetti Junction, downstairs in the Sea Terminal, was my introduction to 'proper' dining out as a little fella. Fancy chequered tablecloths, those absurdly-massive pepper grinders, proper grated parmesan, and a beautifully unhinged chef/proprietor who made us feel so very welcome, as he sang and yelled his way through cooking our tea.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lethargy said:

I was completely in awe of Carlo. Spaghetti Junction, downstairs in the Sea Terminal, was my introduction to 'proper' dining out as a little fella. Fancy chequered tablecloths, those absurdly-massive pepper grinders, proper grated parmesan, and a beautifully unhinged chef/proprietor who made us feel so very welcome, as he sang and yelled his way through cooking our tea.

You are right, I think it was Carlo rather than Carlos.

47 minutes ago, Gladys said:

You are right, I think it was Carlo rather than Carlos.

Carlo Bagassi. He was an an angel, unless you incurred his wrath. 

I took my brother and his wife downstairs and was initially disappointed by the red and white checkered vinyl table coverings.  Brother and wife spent all their off time in Italy and I thought they too would be disappointed too. On the contrary, they said that it was the most authentic Italian restaurant outside of Italy that they’d ever been to.

Carlo made a huge fuss of us and was kind enough not to mention the events of two months previous when, on my motorbike)  I hit his car side on and wrote it off. I can still hear him now bawling, ‘You are hurt ? You have insurance?’ And when I said no, then yes he replied, ‘then everything can be fixed’. That night I ate the best anchovy, olive and caper pizza I ever ate round his house. :) 

Lovely memories. 

Edited by Roxanne
To correct Carlo’s surname.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...