Registered Buildings

TheTeapot

7 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Most of the stone can be polished and so legitimately can be classed as a marble rather than a limestone.

Water is a well used method for splitting impervious/semi impervious  strata marble such as at Pooil Vaaish.

41 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Pooilvaish “Marble” isn’t marble. It isn’t exactly limestone either. It’s a fine rock laid down in the sea with thin layers or banding in lots of the beds. It has been exposed to heat but not enough to convert to marble. 

Limestone becomes Marble once it is metamorphosed.  Unless it's kind of a 'trade name' when you polish it and you can call it Marble (but it's not really marble).  Actually looking at their website, it's generally grey limestone (some darker, some lighter) with different levels of finishing.  Polish it super highly and it goes black.  Assuming they use wax or some sort of sealant, this would actually make it highly weatherproof.  The fossily one (black with white fossils) looks pretty sexy.  As does the veined, but these look like crystaline intrusions of quartz rather than layers. 

I'll have to get my hands on some really to take a proper look. 

https://pooilvaaish.com/our-stone/

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Pooilvaish “Marble” isn’t marble. It isn’t exactly limestone either. It’s a fine rock laid down in the sea with thin layers or banding in lots of the beds. It has been exposed to heat but not enough to convert to marble. 

(not being pedantic) Heat and as importantly pressure.

To the original point, it all boils down to definition and interpretation of definition. I will stand in the corner that says it is (mostly) marble at Pooilvaaish. And I will stick my neck out further and say that it was (more than likely) used on the steps at St Paul's cathedral.

14 minutes ago, war baby said:

So was it Carlo who had the restaurant in the top room?  I think it must be his steaks I recall.  He was a flamboyant character for sure.  Thanks, Gladys.

Originally manager for the restaurant run by the Harbour Board. Then he took on the lease. As I’ve said, mediocre food, at best. Very 60’s, even in the 80’s

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Originally manager for the restaurant run by the Harbour Board. Then he took on the lease. As I’ve said, mediocre food, at best. Very 60’s, even in the 80’s

I thought he was originally manager for an offshoot of the Agricultural Marketing Society - can't see the Harbour Board running it as they had more sense than to get involved in trying to run commercial operations in those days!! 

I seem to recall that they also ran the "Dairy" or "Creamery" shops around the Island. 

Memory is failing so may well have it all wrong!! 

Just now, Mistercee said:

I thought he was originally manager for an offshoot of the Agricultural Marketing Society - can't see the Harbour Board running it as they had more sense than to get involved in trying to run commercial operations in those days!! 

I seem to recall that they also ran the "Dairy" or "Creamery" shops around the Island. 

Memory is failing so may well have it all wrong!! 

Think it may have been joint venture between Milk Marketing Society and Harbour Board, originally. There was also the Meat Marketing Association. Both were under the aegis of the Agricultural Marketing Act 1934.

Not sure how a steak house/Italian restaurant fitted in with a produce society/coop set up by a scheme under the Act.

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

personal opinion .... I had some great times there ....  food was good view amazing. Pity its blocked off for offices now

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 8:21 PM, John Wright said:

Think it may have been joint venture between Milk Marketing Society and Harbour Board, originally. There was also the Meat Marketing Association. Both were under the aegis of the Agricultural Marketing Act 1934.

Not sure how a steak house/Italian restaurant fitted in with a produce society/coop set up by a scheme under the Act.

When it originally opened the Crows nest was more of an up market cafe - it only went a bit more upmarket when Carlo took it over in his own right. 

Agrimark Ltd also came under the Agricultural Marketing Society group in those days and was one of the main suppliers to the hotel / catering industry. I think they had a factory on Castle Hill producing tinned "Primadona" (sp) meat and bacon amongst other things. 

On 8/25/2023 at 1:31 PM, Mistercee said:

When it originally opened the Crows nest was more of an up market cafe - it only went a bit more upmarket when Carlo took it over in his own right. 

Agrimark Ltd also came under the Agricultural Marketing Society group in those days and was one of the main suppliers to the hotel / catering industry. I think they had a factory on Castle Hill producing tinned "Primadona" (sp) meat and bacon amongst other things. 

There certainly was an Agrimark warehouse and factory. I thought the meat canning was by the abattoir? Really good tinned stewed beef.