Africa House

cheesypeas

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

Hope it's not another Crooked House (Insert pun here). Fine house back in the day. Be a shame to lose another in that area after the old Home Affairs building was bulldozed for development. Anybody got the history on it before Trevor bought it ?

My Gran owned it from some time in the 40s/50s until the 60s, I think. ( I just know my Mum spent some of her teenage years there).   It was called Woodside then.  Used to play there in the garden which included where the Mormon Temple is now.  

The terrace of houses to the south is called Woodside Terrace, I think, so can only think that it's origins were quite grand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Was that not Ramsey? And it was a parrot?

Yes, I think that was the original. Took the parrot out for a run in the car and while they were away the hotel burned down. Can't remember any more than that but no doubt someone will be along shortly to tell us the name of the hotel, the year, the owner, and what breed the parrot was.

Edited by Roxanne
to spell hotel properly.
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Yes, I think that was the original. Took the parrot out for a run in the car and while they were away the hotel burned down. Can't remember any more than that but no doubt someone will be along shortly to tell us the name of the hotel, the year, the owner, and what breed the parrot was.

Was it The Queen's on Stanley Mount ? There was another one in Ramsey around the same time that I've forgotten the name of. There was a local joke that they played a cricket match afterwards to decide who kept the ashes.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Was it The Queen's on Stanley Mount ? There was another one in Ramsey around the same time that I've forgotten the name of. There was a local joke that they played a cricket match afterwards to decide who kept the ashes.

Golf Links at Castletown would have been my bet - bit like the “Waiting for God” sweep at The Woody years ago - bloke had Mother Theresa for years pot was about £500 and Princess Di beat her by a week - he’s still mad about it 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Queen's Hotel, Spring 1983, a Scottish guy (I think) and his family who was the owner/landlord at the time and it was definitely a budgie.

I sat on the seawall opposite with dozens of others watching Ramsey Fire Brigade (aka Trumpton) trying to get in by axeing their way through the locked front door, the fire had a good hold and had spread by the time they'd achieved it.

The earlier one might have been the Talk of the Town on the north Promenade, that was New Year's Eve either 1979 or 1980, memory is fading a bit. Claimed dodgy wiring IIRC.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Tholty Wyll was another  the owners were out a Sunday as I remember they had taken 

the Alsatian for a run in the car.  The fire at Africa House is burning fiercely the roof has taken hold and the flames are high, this wind will be giving the Fire Brigade a hard time pictures on FB. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Hahahaha amazing. This was a topic of conversation earlier today with the crooked house in the news. We'd decided that Africa house was the second most likely place to go up in flames. Clearly we were wrong.

what was your most likely place ??    newsons ?