Africa House

cheesypeas

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Hope it's not another Crooked House (Insert pun here). Fine house back in the day. Be a shame to lose another in that area after the old Home Affairs building was bulldozed for development. Anybody got the history on it before Trevor bought it ?

Exactly, so no need to burn it down.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Hahahaha amazing. This was a topic of conversation earlier today with the crooked house in the news. We'd decided that Africa house was the second most likely place to go up in flames. Clearly we were wrong.

There's a decent list of 'registered' buildings that would benefit from the treatment. 

So many old and derelict buildings around the island, it's a good thing when they are cleared away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Cosy nook would be a beauty too. Imagine the FB fume and to see Vice Admiral Watterson crying in his sleep 

Cozy Nook site won't get £20m worth of 'luxury' apartments put on it though, even if it did burn down. Unlike the old aquarium...

Fire at old Marine Biological Station - Manx Radio

Marine Biological Station plans revealed - 3FM Isle of Man

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Queen's Hotel, Spring 1983, a Scottish guy (I think) and his family who was the owner/landlord at the time and it was definitely a budgie.

I sat on the seawall opposite with dozens of others watching Ramsey Fire Brigade (aka Trumpton) trying to get in by axeing their way through the locked front door, the fire had a good hold and had spread by the time they'd achieved it.

The earlier one might have been the Talk of the Town on the north Promenade, that was New Year's Eve either 1979 or 1980, memory is fading a bit. Claimed dodgy wiring IIRC.

The Marshalls ran the Tartan bar which mysteriously burnt down in about 1983?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It will now be lighter for you to carry. 

eta. Are you also a ‘wood hunter’? Since I got my chainsaw and cutting ‘horse’ I keep spotting wood all over the place going begging. My friends are driven mad by me in walks whining at all the wood lying around that I can’t carry home. 😂

Ahhh....that kind of wood hunter!