Heritage Railways Chopped?

0bserver

Various trainspotter pages across social media have been going into overdrive in recent weeks decrying the Government consultation on the future of the island's heritage railways. The survey closes today and I suspect we'll just see a load of anoraks saying that nothing should change and the taxpayer should continue to fund their hobby. 

While some argue strongly in favour of the supposed economic benefit, I can't see it myself. 

So surely the fairest thing to do would be raise the ticket prices so they pay their own way? 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Various trainspotter pages across social media have been going into overdrive in recent weeks decrying the Government consultation on the future of the island's heritage railways. The survey closes today and I suspect we'll just see a load of anoraks saying that nothing should change and the taxpayer should continue to fund their hobby. 

While some argue strongly in favour of the supposed economic benefit, I can't see it myself. 

So surely the fairest thing to do would be raise the ticket prices so they pay their own way? 

I don't know if raising fares is the answer without looking at the whole model. On the horse trams you have two members of staff on each (mostly empty) tram and staff in the ticket office. Perhaps there are some safety reasons the 5mph horse tram can't be ran with one member of staff and a dead man's handle, but we certainly aren't trying to streamline it currently.

(And the staff to look after the horses. And the staff to maintain the trams. The same applies to the other services.)

Everywhere else seems to run at least a partial volunteer model. If we are paying out for everything there could at least be some attempts to make efficiencies - curtail MER Ramsey running to a couple of peak months for example

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It cannot all carry on being publically funded...it's time priorities were decided.

IMO horse trams should have been put in Ramsey...next to pier. Electric trams probably need to stop at Laxey. Mountain trams unsafe...decision needs to be made to scrap or fix properly.

There's a definite issue of priorities. Dr. Waffle is burning through the reserves faster than a runaway Snaefell tram... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

If they raise the ticket prices it might deter the massed hoards of said anoraks who are part of our economic salvation? As a purely personal opinion, the fares aren't particularly cheap as they are, I travelled on the tram with some visiting guests last week and the saving grace was a rover-type ticket that allows you travel on everything in one day for £19 per person. Individually, the fares are much, much higher than that.

The question is, how much do the actual railways cost to run and what's the cost of their management and admin ranks?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If they raise the ticket prices it might deter the massed hoards of said anoraks who are part of our economic salvation? As a purely personal opinion, the fares aren't particularly cheap as they are, I travelled on the tram with some visiting guests last week and the saving grace was a rover-type ticket that allows you travel on everything in one day for £19 per person. Individually, the fares are much, much higher than that.

The question is, how much do the actual railways cost to run and what's the cost of their management and admin ranks?

The actual cost pre-covid was something like £8.5m when you included the capital budget and operating losses/subsidy. 

Treasury have now slashed the capital budget from £4.5m to £2.25m and down to zero from 2025. 

There's still a chunky loss though. Each single passenger journey is essentially subsidised by the taxpayer to the tune of between £10 and £20. 

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think there has been a lot of smoke and mirrors with the bus service and heritage railways so closely tied together. Working out the admin and management of something that only operates during the summer may throw up a few surprises. 

As an aside, I have noticed that every electric tram and horse tram I have seen this weekend has been pretty much full!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

They need to now start thinking of recruiting 'qualified volunteers'...start designing recognised training schemes for volunteers now and staff not be govt employees anymore.

There is little respect for volunteers within government, they can't control them or hold an axe over their head!

• Like 2

Irrespective of whether the horse trams are, govt run or volunteer  run, what does this project to potential investors, they get of the boat wit a million dollars in their suitcase, they cant get a taxi, so it's the horse tram ? Is that going to encourage them to invest here???😀

• Haha 1

it would be criminal to get rid of the heritage railways , far too  many suits involved and costs lumped in with the bus's , more managers then soft Mick   same with MNH  just another excuse to overload the system with cilvil servants and massive pensions , the bus's should have been privatised long ago   with subvention from government for pensioners and children's travel to school  , I guess if they close the railway to Ramsey then there will to two MHK's looking for  new jobs  in 2 years time , Northern people can be very unforgiving and lets face it they have nothing else !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Omobono said:

it would be criminal to get rid of the heritage railways , far too  many suits involved and costs lumped in with the bus's , more managers then soft Mick   same with MNH  just another excuse to overload the system with cilvil servants and massive pensions , the bus's should have been privatised long ago   with subvention from government for pensioners and children's travel to school  , I guess if they close the railway to Ramsey then there will to two MHK's looking for  new jobs  in 2 years time , Northern people can be very unforgiving and lets face it they have nothing else !

Laxey to Ramsey is the best part of it!

Edited by finlo
  • Like 7