Heritage Railways Chopped?

0bserver

4 hours ago, Two-lane said:

From a recent FoI response:

"5. Yes, the locomotive requires a replacement of a cracked axle, a repair to the
gearbox, motor refurbishment, and subsequent bogie re-assembly."

If a new light-bulb for the Gaiety costs £1.6 million, I doubt that work is going to be done for £40,000.

Edited to add:

How did it get a cracked axle when it has not been running? And were not gearbox and motor repairs part of the £249,000 already spent on repairs?

I thought the Cabbage was a new locomotive, bought expressively for a purpose? If it was newly manufactured, how has it come to be to have so many issues? 

21 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I thought the Cabbage was a new locomotive, bought expressively for a purpose? If it was newly manufactured, how has it come to be to have so many issues? 

Longworth et al wanted to spend a million (or close to) on brand new design, but that was rejected.

They bought a re-purposed/re-manufactured/re-engineered unit from USA. Longworth went there personally to take delivery of the train - unfortunately he isn't enough of an an engineer to draw up a specification or know what to look for.

As far as I can tell, everything on the train apart from the electrical generator and the windscreen wiper motor has broken.

[I heard a scurrilous rumour that not long after delivery, someone (presumably a disaffected ex-employee of the American company) sent an email to the DoI listing all the things they were going to find that was wrong with the unit]

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Longworth et al wanted to spend a million (or close to) on brand new design, but that was rejected.

They bought a re-purposed/re-manufactured/re-engineered unit from USA. Longworth went there personally to take delivery of the train - unfortunately he isn't enough of an an engineer to draw up a specification or know what to look for.

As far as I can tell, everything on the train apart from the electrical generator and the windscreen wiper motor has broken.

[I heard a scurrilous rumour that not long after delivery, someone (presumably a disaffected ex-employee of the American company) sent an email to the DoI listing all the things they were going to find that was wrong with the unit]

So he went over there and we got tucked up. Nothing new in us getting tucked up of course. I'm sure our negotiators go into every new deal with "sucker" written across their forehead.

In this case however, I'm sure that Longworth's reaction to any criticism would be "I told you so." Remember that he had wanted to buy a new build locomotive but was thwarted by Tynwald on cost grounds. They have now probably spent more on the cabbage than they would have done on the new build. Whether that would have fared any better as a complete one off design, we'll never know.

• Like 1

It had to have a new engine when it first arrived, that was then plagued with overheating problems. Then it was caught up in the workshop flooding, I believe, that did for a lot of the propulsion electrics which had to be replaced. It's been a litany of disasters, one after another all of which are catalogued on a thread on here somewhere. Another Longworth Legacy along with the horse trams.

Costains are the best bet.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It had to have a new engine when it first arrived, that was then plagued with overheating problems. Then it was caught up in the workshop flooding, I believe, that did for a lot of the propulsion electrics which had to be replaced. It's been a litany of disasters.

Any other commercial operator would have written it off years ago. A bad investment write it off before we waste anymore money on it. But in the public sector we can’t be wrong let’s just keep throwing money at it to show that we weren’t wrong in buying a total piece of shit.

7 hours ago, Mouthpiece said:

Any other commercial operator would have written it off years ago. A bad investment write it off before we waste anymore money on it. But in the public sector we can’t be wrong let’s just keep throwing money at it to show that we weren’t wrong in buying a total piece of shit.

Is this on the wrong thread ? is this Liverpool ? .... Oh no sorry !

Wise words mate....

Graham Cregeen, Minister for Community, Culture and Leisure, which operates IoM Railways, said: 

‘This is the first new locomotive to be brought to the Island since 1926. 

‘Introduction of the new diesel-electric will reduce costs and increase the support available on the steam railway. During busy periods we currently keep an additional steam engine warm with a crew ready to be able to assist should another loco break down. This means a faster recovery of the train and a better experience for passengers. 

‘Additionally the diesel-electric will be used to provide TT commuter trains and routinely as a fire train. Around 70 line side fires are reported during dry weather periods, often in places which are inaccessible to the Fire Service. The new diesel-electric will ensure they are extinguished quickly.’ 

Director of Public Transport Ian Longworth said:

‘The arrival of the new locomotive went very smoothly. The plan the Railways’ team put together went perfectly to schedule and the American engineers will arrive tomorrow to start the commissioning process.’ 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, littlebushy said:

Wise words mate....

Graham Cregeen, Minister for Community, Culture and Leisure, which operates IoM Railways, said: 

‘This is yet another pup in a long line to be brought to the Island since 1926. 

‘Introduction of the new diesel-electric will increase costs and leave unchanged the support available on the steam railway. During busy periods we currently keep an additional steam engine warm with a crew ready to be able to assist should another loco break down. This remains the same duration that it ever was for recovery of the train and a worse experience for taxpayers.

‘Additionally the diesel-electric will never be used to provide TT commuter trains, nor as a fire train. Around 70 line side fires are reported during dry weather periods, often in places which are inaccessible to the Fire Service. The new diesel-electric will ensure they burn for as long as they ever used to’ 

Director of Public Transport Ian Longworth said:

'I've been allowed to run riot, cost the people of the Island millions and got a fat pension and payoff for doing it. The best thing is, none of your politicians had the bollocks to challenge any of it. Cheers, suckers'.

Fixed.

• Like 1