Heritage Railways Chopped?

0bserver

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

How many of the passengers were locals though, I wouldn't like to say but the number of people who got on and off at the small "local" halts might suggest that some are actually still using the trams as "transport - transport" rather than as a tourism attraction?

I sometimes use the tram to go from home to the Mines in Laxey as the once a day 13 bus service doesn't run anymore. Last time I was on the 13 the driver was reeling off all the names of the passengers on the route who'd died over the years. I asked to get off at the next stop 😂

• Haha 5

Don't let the thread deteriorate into a comeover v non comeover debate ! That has little relevance, public finances are where they are because of the actions of Politicians and Civil servants, comeover or not, we are all taxpayers and we've been let down !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Of course, you’re entitled to your opinion: but, as a “come-over” who is interested in the island’s heritage and what happens to it, I think you’re talking bollocks (IMHO).

(Perhaps you feel that your opinion has more value than mine, since you were born here…)

Well good for you!

I simply stated I was uncomfortable with the situation. Because eventually it will come down to how much do people think is worth paying? In other words what is it worth? I don't think there are any easy answers to that one.

As I've stated previously I think the cost of preserving the Peggy is misplaced. I'm of the opinion that a perfect replica would suffice to display and the original could be donated to a group of enthusiasts (if one could be found!) to look after. Other folks (MNH!) obviously feel differently. Which is fine. But again it all ends up with "What is it worth?"

Tricky....

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The trams I was on a couple of weeks back were full, certainly Laxey to Douglas and Laxey - Snaefell, Laxey to Ramsey perhaps a little fewer. How many of the passengers were locals though, I wouldn't like to say but the number of people who got on and off at the small "local" halts might suggest that some are actually still using the trams as "transport - transport" rather than as a tourism attraction?

It is remarkable where the trams stop and it certainly won't be tourists that know the names of these halts to ask for the tram to stop.  I could not name every single halt/stopping point for the trams.

I guess looking at this another way it does show that the railways and trams did once work as a "commuter" service and even transported goods.  There have been several failures to introduce a commuter service including the tram from Portugal that could not navigate the line and the "cabbage" on the Steam Railway.

If the Peel line still existed it could provide a good connection between Peel & Douglas for commuters with the only real issue being that Douglas Station is not located very centrally and people are lazy.  Of course when it closed it was in a very poor state and the whilst the use of road transport was increasing there were not the same traffic problems as we see today.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

...it certainly won't be tourists that know the names of these halts to ask for the tram to stop. 

Especially on the mountain where the stop names are often made up on the day...

'For f**ks sake' stop!

Stop! 'Or we're all gonna die!'

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Various trainspotter pages across social media have been going into overdrive in recent weeks decrying the Government consultation on the future of the island's heritage railways. The survey closes today and I suspect we'll just see a load of anoraks saying that nothing should change and the taxpayer should continue to fund their hobby. 

While some argue strongly in favour of the supposed economic benefit, I can't see it myself. 

So surely the fairest thing to do would be raise the ticket prices so they pay their own way? 

Well the prices here are a lot lower than in UK for similar railways so probably a good idea plus raise season ticket prices, far too low for unlimited travel

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I am suggesting taxing the wealthy more not struggling Manx families.  We can increase tax for corporations and the wealthy without becoming unattractive when compared to the UK or other countries.

You realise that the current locomotives are mostly of the same design meaning that parts are interchangeable?  They have survived for a long time by swapping parts between locomotives whilst repairing the broken or damage parts.  

I can see an argument both ways around Mannin.  Bringing her into working order would increase interest in the railways but it would be an outlier and you would not be able to swap parts so easily.  Caledonia is in the same situation but always seems popular with visitors and locals alike when she is in steam.

In my business here in the UK I use pressure vessels for part of the process we do.

These bits of plant have to be tested every 6 months for integrity as if they "Let Go" it would be like a bomb going off.

Who does this testing on the pressure vessels that are steam trains on the IOM?

Edited by Blade Runner

3 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

In my business here in the UK I use pressure vessels for part of the process we do.

These bits of plant have to be tested every 6 months for integrity as if they "Let Go" it would be like a bomb going off.

Who does this testing on the pressure vessels that are steam trains on the IOM?

Why don’t you ask via FOI if that interested