Heritage Railways Chopped?

0bserver

Unless I’ve got it wrong (unthinkable, but it happens) there is no political desire to ‘get rid’ of our heritage railways, although there is talk of looking at possible better ways to run them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many of our visitors used to go on the horse tram as a connection to the MER  when you could use it from the sea terminal 

So it used to be get off the boat / horse tram and then the electric railway 

With the current arrangement you end up having  to take a bus (or a bit of a  walk ) and then get the horse tram.

I suspect its also putting off some people from using  the electric railway as you lose the horse tram / electric railway combination..

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

Many of our visitors used to go on the horse tram as a connection to the MER  when you could use it from the sea terminal 

With the current arrangement you end up having  to take a bus (or a bit of a  walk ) and then get the horse tram.

I suspect its also putting off some people from using  the electric railway as you lose the horse tram / electric railway combination..

Yes. Absolutely crackers. DoI for you.

Unrealistic I think! Even in the 18wotsits, I doubt people relied on the Horse trams to get them to their Hotel!!!

More likely they would walk to their ''hotel'' and then, maybe use the tram for a bit of a tourist trip, but a transport form??? Doubt it?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Sarky!  Are “come-overs” not allowed to be interested in Manx heritage, in your seemingly narrow view?

I don't have a "narrow" view.

I want to preserve my (reasonable) heritage so we should be on the same side...?

However you take umbrage at my not unreasonable concern that I'm aware that those who grew up with the railways etc are becoming a minority. Also the term "virtue signalling" is becoming ever more prevalent on here. 

For all I know you're bullshitting...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Unless I’ve got it wrong (unthinkable, but it happens) there is no political desire to ‘get rid’ of our heritage railways, although there is talk of looking at possible better ways to run them.

back to good old 'talk' as usual

8 hours ago, mad_manx said:

They could just get a bus. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

Unrealistic I think! Even in the 18wotsits, I doubt people relied on the Horse trams to get them to their Hotel!!!

More likely they would walk to their ''hotel'' and then, maybe use the tram for a bit of a tourist trip, but a transport form??? Doubt it?

It's extremely unlikely. Mainly because there's only one boat that arrives when the horse trams are even running 😂

It's just an old wife's tale. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mad_manx said:

TBF, that may have been the case for day trippers (do we still have them?), but not for passengers with luggage having to wrestle suitcases on and off horse trams (if there is room on the tram for luggage) and electric trams. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

I want to preserve my (reasonable) heritage so we should be on the same side...?

Should be, yes: but effectively, you were saying only the Manx have an interest in Manx heritage - so you placed me on a different side, hence my subsequent posts…

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

Also the term "virtue signalling" is becoming ever more prevalent on here. 

I agree: is being “Manx as the hills” a virtue?

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

For all I know you're bullshitting...

Well, that’s true - you can’t know for sure!  One of the difficulties of an anonymous forum, I’m afraid.   You’d have to rely on the integrity of my body of posts and trust your own judgement.   But equally, you could be a Yorkshireman living in Cornwall - how would we know that you were actually Manx? 😉

Visitors of ye oldie days did not man handle the luggage they used the porters, who then loaded up their hand carts and I mean loaded up the cart to deliver to the hotel(boarding house). I can remember as a lad a bunch of them being tethered with a lock and chain out the front of the sea terminal, I think they may of just been used as tourist props at that time. But me grand father used to own one for moving various bits and pieces around the quay side, as we would always hop a ride when empty.

• Like 2

In the days before the prom. was wrecked, it would have been possible to appeal to transport enthusiasts as a genre:

e.g. An old-fashioned double-decker (possibly open-top) with an open platform at the back. A clippie (aspiring actress, determinedly "in character" by having a fag hanging out of her mouth). The bus travels north on the prom. up to Ramsey (either way) giving a view of the countryside.

People get the MER to Laxey, up and down the mountain, then back to Douglas. The entire length of the prom. on a horse tram. From the sea terminal to the station by Bedford bus (with the clutch pedal in the middle). Get a sandwich and coffee from the station and the Steam train to Port Erin. Back to Douglas on another double-decker.

There would be costs involved, of course. And who is going to play the part of the clippie?