Heritage Railways Chopped?

0bserver

Sack all MNHR off & begin implementing a Green powered tram system over the next 50 years using the current routes.

We are attempting to grow the population. We need suitable infrastructure, transport links between towns but more importantly forward thinking, progressive policy.

Watching a 10 year old Shire horse named Albert pulling 30 overweight Americans across the promenade is not where this Island needs to go.

Too many living in the here and now, needs to STOP! 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Wake Up Call said:

Transport enthusiasts are reducing in number due to age and demographic. Similar to the great people who marshal the motor cycle races. 

Eventually, there won't be the numbers to support these activities.

There are plenty of young families riding the railways, especially this year, but I do agree more generally that many organisations in diverse fields (charities, sports, leisure pursuits) struggle to gain interest from younger adults. It's often the same people that were there 30 years ago, but now 30 years older with very little new blood coming along. We have generations now who don't seem to be interested in much other than having their noses in a "device". Community in that sense is in sharp decline.

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Sack all MNHR off & begin implementing a Green powered tram system over the next 50 years using the current routes.

We are attempting to grow the population. We need suitable infrastructure, transport links between towns but more importantly forward thinking, progressive policy.

Watching a 10 year old Shire horse named Albert pulling 30 overweight Americans across the promenade is not where this Island needs to go.

Too many living in the here and now, needs to STOP! 

Not the old "horse trams are cruel" chestnut again. Who was that crazy woman that was always banging on about it? They are free rolling wheel on rail. You could pull it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

TBF, that may have been the case for day trippers (do we still have them?), but not for passengers with luggage having to wrestle suitcases on and off horse trams (if there is room on the tram for luggage) and electric trams. 

You are applying your expected 21st century levels of comfort and sloth to this issue Glad. 'Twas not always thus. I can assure you that back in the day, I personally wrestled suitcases on and off the horse trams heading from boat to hotel and vice versa without incident for a few years.

I eventually came a cropper the very first time I brought Mrs W (Then Miss Week of Filth and Debauchery) to the Island, and comprehensively knackered my knee while striding up onto the tram with HER suitcase. Christ knows what she had in it, but probably everything she owned, and it weighed a ton.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, woolley said:

Sums up the philistine thinking of many.

Not really though. It's a way of thinking that may see the heritage continue in some form. 

If you want it to all be preserved bells and whistles, while still expecting it to be taxpayer funded, then it will all close down.

14 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Not really though. It's a way of thinking that may see the heritage continue in some form. 

If you want it to all be preserved bells and whistles, while still expecting it to be taxpayer funded, then it will all close down.

In a half-arsed form that isn't worth having and nobody will come to see. The benefit to the economy of tourism comes back to the taxpayer through employment in various sectors as outlined previously.

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

In a half-arsed form that isn't worth having and nobody will come to see. The benefit to the economy of tourism comes back to the taxpayer through employment in various sectors as outlined previously.

What benefit though. Please state in pounds and pence what you believe the overall benefit to the island's economy is?

Fans of trains harp on about this supposed benefit but none seem to be able to pin it down. 

The tourism sector isn't a good one for the island (relative) poverty wages that are no doubt supported by government... the only beneficiaries are wealth property owners. 

57 minutes ago, woolley said:

You are applying your expected 21st century levels of comfort and sloth to this issue Glad. 'Twas not always thus. I can assure you that back in the day, I personally wrestled suitcases on and off the horse trams heading from boat to hotel and vice versa without incident for a few years.

I eventually came a cropper the very first time I brought Mrs W (Then Miss Week of Filth and Debauchery) to the Island, and comprehensively knackered my knee while striding up onto the tram with HER suitcase. Christ knows what she had in it, but probably everything she owned, and it weighed a ton.

So, it was a missed week of filth and debauchery? 

• Haha 1