Heritage Railways Chopped?

0bserver

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Not the old "horse trams are cruel" chestnut again. Who was that crazy woman that was always banging on about it? They are free rolling wheel on rail. You could pull it.

Having recently used it (please see previous post) I certainly wouldn't want to try pulling it, there appeared to be little free-rolling about the tram I was on, "considerable perceived mechanical resistance", particularly on the crossover point, would be the expression I think I'd use.

8 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

What benefit though. Please state in pounds and pence what you believe the overall benefit to the island's economy is?

Fans of trains harp on about this supposed benefit but none seem to be able to pin it down. 

The tourism sector isn't a good one for the island (relative) poverty wages that are no doubt supported by government... the only beneficiaries are wealth property owners. 

I think the previous review quoted a figure of £11 million. What would you estimate it to be? I'm not a "fan of trains" specifically, in the sense of a fanatical gricer, but I do see the value and uniqueness of what we have, and it certainly has a value which is under exploited.

In saying the tourism sector isn't a good one for the Island I think you've stated your position that we shouldn't bother with tourism at all, so your jaundiced, disengaged view is understandable.

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Having recently used it (please see previous post) I certainly wouldn't want to try pulling it, there appeared to be little free-rolling about the tram I was on, "considerable perceived mechanical resistance", particularly on the crossover point, would be the expression I think I'd use.

Had he taken the brakes off?

2 hours ago, woolley said:

I think the previous review quoted a figure of £11 million. What would you estimate it to be? I'm not a "fan of trains" specifically, in the sense of a fanatical gricer, but I do see the value and uniqueness of what we have, and it certainly has a value which is under exploited.

In saying the tourism sector isn't a good one for the Island I think you've stated your position that we shouldn't bother with tourism at all, so your jaundiced, disengaged view is understandable.

Jaundiced and disengaged? Are you describing the SAGA visitors?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Which is exactly why people will pay higher fares to make sure they break even and survice into the future. Win. Win. Win.

Higher fares.

This coming weekend I plan to take the boy to the rearranged Port Erin Beach festival. It'll be an astonishing £13.50 if we get the train there and back from Castletown. How much higher should it be?

Edited by TheTeapot

13 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Jaundiced and disengaged? Are you describing the SAGA visitors?

Would you also close the following;

- The Laxey Wheel

- Cregneash

- The Manx Museum

- House of Mannanan

- Castle Rushen

- Peel Castle

- The Grove Museum 

Plus the various smaller MNH sites?

Just think of all the taxpayers money that could be saved then...  

Think nothing of the cultural damage it would do to the Island.  Ignore how it would end accessible local history for future generations of Manx Children.

Ignore what sets the Island apart and make us the equivalent of a small UK town.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Higher fares.

This coming weekend I plan to take the boy to the rearranged Port Erin Beach festival. It'll be an astonishing £13.50 if we get the train there and back from Castletown. How much higher should it be?

5 million quid apparently.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Would you also close the following;

- The Laxey Wheel

- Cregneash

- The Manx Museum

- House of Mannanan

- Castle Rushen

- Peel Castle

- The Grove Museum 

Plus the various smaller MNH sites?

Keep: 

Manx Museum

Castle Rushen

House of Mannanan

Close:

Grove

Peel Castle 

Creneash 

Laxey Wheel

31 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Higher fares.

You could get the bus for much less. 

Why do you need to have a subsidised steam train ride? 

Just now, 0bserver said:

Keep: 

Manx Museum

Castle Rushen

House of Mannanan

Close:

Grove

Peel Castle 

Creneash 

Laxey Wheel

What is your justification? 

Seems a somewhat arbitrary decision.  

Have you been to the House of Mannanan recently?  It needs significant investment. 

• Like 1